• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BIG CRACK

beatassXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got myself a problem. Bout 1.5 years ago i kissed a tree doing about 40 on my passenger side, bent me up pretty good. I straightened it out pretty good and threw a JCR stage 3 bumper and their extended frame rail bracket things. Since then my dad totaled a Grand with my jeep, causing mine no visible damage and i've hit a deer. I recently noticed a crack coming from under the steering box creep its way up the frame right behind the stiffener/bracket, about 1.5-2in long. The general consensus seems to be stop drill it (or whatever you call it) and then add a Crok Brace. Should i just drill it and weld it or...? Thanks guys.

Id love to do those, but i cant weld worth a shit. Ive practiced for a while but am nowhere near where id need to be to do those. So it needs to be somewhat simple fix where i can drive it to the shop and sit around for an hour or so while they weld it. I dont do alot of rocks and stuff but love to go to fast and generally mistreat my pile so will someone just filling it and drilling it be enough to withstand some decent abuse?

An exhaust shop should be able to weld that up for less then $50 a side and under 2 hours...

Or you can get a the double steering box bracket (a bracket for each side) and a cross brace. The crack is fairly common due to under bracing of the steering box. it will take the opportunity to make any small cracks bigger. and will accelerate the damage with bigger tires.

An exhaust shop should be able to weld that up for less then $50 a side and under 2 hours...

Or you can get a the double steering box bracket (a bracket for each side) and a cross brace. The crack is fairly common due to under bracing of the steering box. it will take the opportunity to make any small cracks bigger. and will accelerate the damage with bigger tires.

Idk about the muffler shops around where you live, but I wouldn't trust them with my welding lol.

Idk about the muffler shops around where you live, but I wouldn't trust them with my welding lol.

Definitely not.

I would go to your local chapter subforum, and see if there is anyone close to you who knows how to weld, and would be willing to lend a hand.

The problem I have with the crok brace for already cracked frames is it doenst really attach to the frame, I mean it does, but mainly it seems like it attached to itself through the frame. I think that having a brace welded to the frame is going to be a much better option. You might want to have a look at my thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003547

as I am going through the same problem now.

I am going to get the full front frame brace (goes from the bumper to the lower control arms, prep everything myself and fab a brace for the inside as well as the sleeves to go through rail...I am then going to have a pro weld it up for me because the sheet metal needs to be welded to right..

From what I've read once the frame starts getting fatigue cracks they are going to keep appearing just past wherever you finish bracing due the displacement of flex. I think the full front frame brace, welded is going to be the only way to distribute the load evenly enough to negate that effect...

So i guess im gonna get some Hd offroad engineering stiffiners and have a local guy burn em in. Two questions though, 1. Will i still need to use my Jcr frame extension plates with this upgrade? and 2. while im at it i need to do a trakbar and bracket. I dont wanna spend more than 200 but kinda want some beef. Ill be torched but, What about rustys heavy duty double shear job? and if no, which one?

Back