• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ shafts in XJ D30 disco

GoSlowGetStuck

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
A while back I had a 98 ZJ as a DD. I had a u-joint getting loose on one of the front shafts, so I pulled the shafts, and in the process of removing the joint, I broke the ABS tone wheel, rendering the shaft useless for that vehicle. The ZJ is gone, but I still have the old shafts. Can I swap those shafts into my XJ to get the bigger U-joints as well as the one-piece passenger shaft? Any "gotchas" to watch out for, particularly with the tone wheel and knuckle clearance?

Do a search, you'll have to machine out one side of the housing right next to the carrier to get the correct seal in for that axle.

I did it, its not as hard as it sounds.

Do a search, you'll have to machine out one side of the housing right next to the carrier to get the correct seal in for that axle.

I did it, its not as hard as it sounds.

I have searched on several occasions and found the "two-piece to one-piece swap" write-up, but didn't find anything ZJ-specific (they always mention TJ axles for some reason). If the ZJ and TJ passenger-side shafts are the same, then I will just follow that. Basically I just wanted to check that the tone rings on the ZJ shafts wouldn't cause a problem. Since some XJs had ABS, I wouldn't think so, but again, just making sure.

When you had yours machined (the passenger side of the pumpkin right?), did you have to take the whole axle to a machine shop to have them bore it out?

i thought zj shafts had the constant velocity joints due to the full time 4x4? arent they weaker?

Back