• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting of Chevy leafs

JT86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I searched and read through them, it seems like people are split between inboarding the spriong under the "frame" rails or leaving like the factory mounts, I will be getting a set of leafs soon, the reason I'm asking is last week I discovered the pass. side leaf mount twisted up and is starting to come through the floor. I know under the frame mounts could get caught up on rocks, which I could just make em so they would slide over, Im more concerned about the lost stability of inboarding, and if theres really any benefit

check out the link in my sig. We are not done yet with the build up yet but we are mounting the Chevy leaf spring outboard to the 2x4 tube steel that replaced my bumper. I will be adding more photos later today.

Well I searched and read through them, it seems like people are split between inboarding the spriong under the "frame" rails or leaving like the factory mounts, I will be getting a set of leafs soon, the reason I'm asking is last week I discovered the pass. side leaf mount twisted up and is starting to come through the floor. I know under the frame mounts could get caught up on rocks, which I could just make em so they would slide over, Im more concerned about the lost stability of inboarding, and if theres really any benefit
There is no split concerning inboarding the leaf springs on a xj.very few people are for doing it due to the instability it creates.if your looking to go with longer leafs move the front mount forward 3"s and build a shackle relocation box for the rear.you could then run commanche leafs or main,s10 leafs,bronco 2 leafs and even f 150 1/2 tons. chevys leafs are just to long for a xj application IMHO.

Im already getting steel to make mounts like the factory ones, as I still do drive this one the street so I dont wanna lose any stability, I havent picked up the springs yet so I havent mocked anything up, I was just wondering if there is any benefits or down falls from either setup, and by searching I mezn Ive looked on other forums, and some people are inboarding, but have no info on how they really handle, excpet that they flex well, thanks for the help

Again i am sure thier are a few that have inboarded leaf springs on other forums. ask yourself this were those done on xj's,were they strictly trail rigs.this is the largest xj forum thier is and the overwhelming majority will not do it,due to the instability it creates.move your mount forward 3" or even make it adjustable and you will obtain all the flex you need and keep your stability.others have done this with greatly improved flex and ability to carry more weight.remember while your at it make a rear shackle relocation box to get that perfect shackle angle.

Forgot to put this in last post.go to vendors section " shackle relocation brackets" when you log on and look at post#78 stock length leaf packs with only his rear shackle relocated and watch the video it says it all! enjoy!!

Back