• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Great Diesel Debate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiFo

NAXJA Forum User
Background:

For those of you that missed the Noob run at Tahuya, here is a little back ground. Two faithful NAXJA members, who’s screen names escape me, but they know who they are, had a discussion on whether or not there was ever a Diesel engine put in an MJ/XJ and sold in the North American market. Naturally since we take our XJ/MJ knowledge very serious here in the NW so bets where made.

Challenge:

So with out further ado, we need your combined MJ/XJ knowledge. Post any and all knowledge you have on whether an MJ/XJ was ever sold in the North American market with a Diesel engine installed from the factory. Oh, and Canada doesn't count, it has to be USA, sorry Canadian drivers, but that was the bet.

As a member of the “Yes they did” camp I submit the following.

Jeep did in fact sale a Diesel XJ/MJ in the USA, from 85-87 they where available with a Renault 2.1l 4cyl. Turbo Diesel making a whopping 85 hp @ 3750 rpm and 132 ft. lb. @ 2750 rpm. I have an FAQ I copied from on the web where I got this, but I can’t find the link now. Best I got is this:

http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/archive/505/2006/Aug/0017.html

Well, as painful as it is for me to admit, I think I was wrong. I know, I know, it's hard to believe, but there's a first time for everything. It looks like I'm out 20 bucks. I've still never seen one, but it does seem like there was indeed a diesel offered in MJs.

Can anyone post a pic if they find one?

:dunce:

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Well, as painful as it is for me to admit, I think I was wrong. I know, I know, it's hard to believe, but there's a first time for everything. It looks like I'm out 20 bucks. I've still never seen one, but it does seem like there was indeed a diesel offered in MJs.

Can anyone post a pic if they find one?

:dunce:

-----Matt-----

LOL, it's not much of a debate if you just admite that your wrong!

If someone could post a pic or personal experiance it would be cool though. I've never actually seen one and though engine sounds like a dog, a diesel powered XJ does sound kind of cool to me.

JEEP COMANCHE, '86 diesel, 4x4, not running, rebuilt transmission & transfer case, new tires, & paint, with canopy, nice condition, BIO/WVO extra tank, $2000 obo. 509-254-3094. WallaWalla.

Found that in the Nickel saver this last weekend... not trying to advertise just thought ide share

Looks like I'm $20 richer and I didnt even have to be the one to grab a link.
Well Matt (IXNAYXY) you owe this Comanche owner some money.

Besides winning that money I had a great time cant wait til I can make it to another run, not just for the check, but for the wheeling.

Can't make it to that one I've gotta work, but I'll make Browns Camp......

...dont quote me on that.

So you win $20.
How much danage did it cost you when Matt made you go back down the hill and take the far left route at the end of our run Sunday?:D

Maybe none, but you sure bounced around pretty good from my view at the bottom.

Damage, none really, well my steering wheel is now 90* to the left, but no problems or vibrations on my 200 mile drive home. so i'm ok, and definitly not a sally

XJLaredo said:
So you win $20.
How much danage did it cost you when Matt made you go back down the hill and take the far left route at the end of our run Sunday?:D

Maybe none, but you sure bounced around pretty good from my view at the bottom.

He was bouncing around preity good from out view at the top too.

Best was the stock Mazda who couldn't make it up the left way, tried the middle and couldn't make it up that way either. Finally had to take the total "rip off my balls now, I don't need them" far right practicly pathed way. All the while Mat standing there egging him on to get him to try the harder roughts.

Ah good times.

FiFo said:
He was bouncing around preity good from out view at the top too.

Best was the stock Mazda who couldn't make it up the left way, tried the middle and couldn't make it up that way either. Finally had to take the total "rip off my balls now, I don't need them" far right practicly pathed way. All the while Matt standing there egging him on to get him to try the harder roughts.

Ah good times.
It was a Nissan, but yeah, that was awesome.

:D

-----Matt-----

Blkxjkrawler said:
yeah but in ALASKA they needed them to turn the 340 inch tires while outrunning 20,000 pound bears through 6 mile deep snowdrifts. Right Ian?

I just wish Warn sold the 90,000 Ton winch that they sale in Alaska down here in the lower 48. Those Alaskians get all the breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back