• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Time Lurker (EXO Pics)

kennylxix

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been lurking for a long time on here butnever posted. I recently picked this up:

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4472.jpg

and sold this:

IMG_1283-1.jpg

I've been working on the suspension and getting the engine runnng right...everything is going well. I threw an 8.25 under the back that I had laying around and took it for a first drive around the block....after the DW almost killed me I started looking and found that the framibody is cracked near the steering box in 3 or 4 places allowing the steering box to move almost an inch.

My plan to fix it is to remove the box stop drill all the cracks, channel them out for welding, purchase this (I don't have the means to make one myself or I would):

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Steering_Brake

and have someone better at welding than me weld it up.

My questions are

1) Does my plan to fix this problem sound good?
2) Does anyone have experience with this weld on solution (I have extensively searched and found no install experiences)
3) Anyone at JKS give poor XJers discounts? : )

Thanks

Is there any tube attached to the area around the rear fenders? Looks like that main tube is just hanging there. Id run some tube from the unirails to the inside of the tube in 1 or 2 spots to stiffen them up.

Looks good though.

Yeah, the whole thing is really attached in a few points but honestly I'm in FL so I'm not really doing a lot of rolling....Its really for pushing through woods and whatnot....

I like the idea of the full front frame stiffeners but I would still have to deal with the actual box mounting it needs to be reinforced...

those frame stiffiners do that. they go right up to where the bumper mounts. realistically they are designed for aftermarket bumpers... but they'll work just fine for stock too.
for the price, your getting so much more than the JKS piece.

now if your talking about the inner side of the frame rail. a simple piece of 10g or 3/16" steel would be easy to cut into the required size. holes drilled for the steering box, and others through the frame and you'd be good to go.

On an unrelated note; cut that whole exo off, and save the front bumper. Like you said, wheeling in FL does not really require a cage. It's adding some decent weight to the rig and isn't really even functional. You'll thank me later.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
I actually bought this xj for the cage (Its something just about noone has around here) so its here to stay...the rack is coming off the top though...

AS far as the stiffeners go....Im referring to the inside of the rail and the slugs going through the rails for the bolts to go though that I would have to add....a lot of the cracking is on the bottom and inside of the rail so I need to do something with that....

I would at least get the cage alittle closer and tighter into the body.

JKS makes great products, but so does HD offroad. If mine were to break like that I would fix the cracks like you said but use the HD offroad stiffeners and a TNT or c-rok inner brace and a Rusty's or similar steering box brace.

Back