• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switching from AX15 to AW4...

docboy209

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever converted from an AX15 manual to an AW4 auto? I own a '98 4.0L AX15, and I may have access to a wrecked '97 4.0L AW4. I'm just waiting on the dealership's general manager. It looks like a straightforward swap of the tranny, TCM, PCM, and complete harness (and of course the shifter, radiator, cooler lines, etc.). Would I have to cut a hole in the tunnel of the automatic donor, or is there a bolt on cover under the shifter? I was a Jeep tech for six years and never bothered to look before.

My wife refuses to learn how to drive stick.

Thanks,
Chris
"Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way" - James Hetfield

The hole in the floorpan is the same but there is a different plate that fills the hole. I canabalized a harness and wired it into my existing harness. You have to change the TPS. Don't forget to get the cooling hoses. Verify your radiator has the tranny cooler in the driver's side.

Your tcase most likely has to change, along with the driveshafts.

You must love taking punishment. Changing transmissions will not be easy. I would trade in and exchange for an auto.

Driving a stick is easy. Method of Teaching is very important.

My criteria for learning how to use a clutch:
1) Dirt road
2) On a hill, going down.
3) hand brake on
4) clutch in
5) rev engine to 2k
6) put into gear
7) take handbrake off
8) (jeep will start moving) slowly let the clutch out.
debate whether to start in 1st or 2nd.. 2nd might be more forgiving.

Give me your 98, and buy an XJ with an AW4 (=

Back