• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ wont start..

mwm

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so this morning i fired up the jeep and started driving up the road then all the sudden it started bucking real bad and then turned off. It was almost like i stalled it. Then after that it wont even turn over. The ignition is still working when i turn the key I can hear the fuel pump, the lights still work so its not a battery problem. I have no idea wat it is. There is not mechanic noises at all when the key is turned. I would have thought it was a bad battery connection if my lights and annoying buzzer werent both working. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Its a 1990, 2door 4.0L Ax-15 5 speed

no, i got gas lol. Its not my starter Im thinking something to do with the ignition? My stero doesnt even come on. And my battery is fine because my headlights/spot lights are still really bright if i turn then on. Im pretty sure its some kind of fuse maybe or something in the ignition is buggered. I checked all the fuses under the dash and they were fine though/

Check your fuse links, there the colored wires on the starter relay, heres a picture.
Use a test light or pull on them real good, often they look fine but are not.

Flinks.jpg

Make sure you check all battery cables first. They all have to be tight and clean. I just redid an ignition switch for my 95. Junkyard ignition and switched out keys. Now the ignitions are different with your year and to be honest I havent done an older ignition. Im sure it can be done though. However if the ignition is burnt up or something shorted you make want to try to find the cause of that because more likely then not it will just burn up your new ignition. check fuses like Langer1 said and also go through all your relays and see if they are good. I had the bucking once and the jeep cut off but that was because I had forgotten a wrench and it fell on the starter and arched...wasnt good. Hope things work out

I just replaced the ignition switch and it still isnt doing anything, I think i smelt burning when my truck shut off but im not possitive

mwm said:
I just replaced the ignition switch and it still isnt doing anything, I think i smelt burning when my truck shut off but im not possitive

So you never checked the fuseable links, one supplies power to the ignition switch.

Guessing can be costly, do some testing not guessing.

langer1 said:
So you never checked the fuseable links, one supplies power to the ignition switch.

Guessing can be costly, do some testing not guessing.
no i havent chedk those yet. I didnt see anything about them in the manual and when it comes to electrical shit im useless..If you have more info where i can find these fusable links that would be great

langer1 said:
Check your fuse links, there the colored wires on the starter relay, heres a picture.
Use a test light or pull on them real good, often they look fine but are not.

Flinks.jpg

Here is your info.

mwm said:
no i havent chedk those yet. I didnt see anything about them in the manual and when it comes to electrical shit im useless..If you have more info where i can find these fusable links that would be great
Sorry can't do much more than those pictures and how to test them short of comming over there and doing it for you.

ahh i see thanks alot man I thought you ment there was another fuse box under the hood like the one under the dash. Ill go give this a try and let you know

Try checking the rotor. my buddys rotor fell apart and died on the side of the road in his truck.
sounds like what your saying is the same as what happend to him.

did you hear poping comming from under the hood before it bucked?

mwm said:
It was a fusable link thanks guys

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for coming back here and letting us know what you found.

Threads like this prove to be very helpfull to others when they have the same problem.

Back