• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Saftey switch symtoms?

Mosephus

NAXJA Forum User
What are some symptoms of the NSS going out?

All of a sudden my Jeep just decides to cut out all of a sudden. Driving along the highway at 60 the jeep just bogged off and on in a split second. Then today I was just sitting at a stop light and it was idling very well and it just died all of a sudden, and i started it right back up and it idled and ran fine till it bogged quickly a ways down the road. Then the rest of the day it ran great. This leads me to believe it is an electrical problem.

Also for a couple months now when I first start the jeep and put it in drive it will intermittently take off like it should and the rpms will dive down for a second and just return to where they should be. :dunno:

Any ideas?

Yes, I'd agree..Crank Position Sensor (CKS)...possibly TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). My '89 had a hesitation problem on starting from a stop...turned out to be TPS. I've got 270k on it...never replaced the CKS, but know I'm gonna have to soon.

Hallo. You can start to check the connector of the CPS.
It is right , the NSS is only for shift info to the ECU (overdrive), the backup lights and to give a ground path by the starterrelay and ignition switch for starting only in N and P. :)

'92 XJ

p.s. 88pioneer a '92 XJ is not old only used.

Last edited:
Back