• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head job question

mramr1974

NAXJA Forum User
Im doing a head gasket on my 96 4.0 xj auomatic 4x4.
It a cheap beater i picked up for $600, so i dont want to spend any money for unnecessary things just want it to run good.
Machine shop wants basicly 500 bucks to tank the head magniflux it three angle valve job and deck it .
I can separate up these service, for instances to tank and magniflux $95.
By the way it got real hot and when i poped the head there was water in 5 cylinders.

Heres the question, Spend 25 on a head gasket and put her back together and see how it goes ake compression check.
Or do all or some of these services above.
Thanks,

Check the head and block for level, at a minimum, or just sell it for parts.

I have a 95 head at the machinist now. Last time he charged $230 for the machining(decked .006"), 3-angle valve job and pressure check. His prices have been on the low side from what others have posted. Oh yeah--you want to drain the radiator first or else the water/coolant will get on the pistons when you remove the head(I've ruined 6qts of fresh oil before. . .)

Last edited:
Blowing the head gasket doesn't mean it needs a valve job. Just have them hot tank and magnaflux it for cracks and if it's good put it back together.

You could get new valve stem seals for a beater I wouldn't do more. A DD or one you will drive to remote trails, yes, but not for a fun wagon.

Some cracks aren't that hard to see so you should give it a close visual inspection looking for this kind of thing. Look in the exhaust runners as well.

between 3 & 4
274259071_6bc1ea51d8_m.jpg
471891606_b49360c743_m.jpg

Last edited:
Check the head and block for level, at a minimum, or just sell it for parts.

Agree with joe. Once a head has been overheated (or replacement head of unknown origin), it at least needs to be checked for flatness. This can be done with a straight edge or preferably a surface plate. Then check for valve sealing by putting mineral spirits into combustion chamber with head leveled upside down. If it leaks out, you need to at least lap the valve seats with lapping compound. If you want to go one step further, check for valve guide clearance with an indicator or micrometer/bore gage. My guess is that if it is flat enough and the spirits don't leak out, you want to put it back together. (After carefull visual check for cracks.)

If you popped the head gasket chances are that the head is warped and depending on how quickly you (or whoever) noticed that it was overheating and shut it down it could be cracked. And since you're there why not have a valve job done.

At the very least have it cleaned and checked for straightness then resurface if needed.

Back