• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pic Request: Skirt removed/cut away on 2001

TheDogsAreDead

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about removing the center section (which is separated from the sides of the skirt) on my 2001, then cutting away the sides to an equal height. This would essentially expose the fog lamps, tow hooks and top of the skid plate.

That middle part of the skirt just pisses me off. I got it caught on a snowbank last winter and now it wont sit right...

Anyone done this?

Eventually I'm going to replace the front bumper entirely...eventually...

Also, if anyone has trimmed the flares to go along with this, please post that as well. As we all know, the panels on the new ones are all goofy, integral with the bumpers. How did you avoid a fugly gap while raising the flairs?

I removed the center portion of the skirt when I installed my front receiver hitch in Winter 2005. Very simple to remove. Just bolts to the bumper and a couple of rivets to drill out that connect to the side skirts. I left the side skirts/along with the fog lights in place. With the front receiver you really don't even notice anything's different at first glance. Has a nice beefy look to it. The center peice came out with no damage so it'll be easy to replace if I ever need to.

If I had a digi camera I'd take a pic and attach it, but I don't, sorry.

Last edited:
This is as close as I can get for you.
My 2000 sport with center section out. Looks like a hillbilly dental plan :)

May182006011.jpg

May182006007.jpg

Sweet.

Thanks guys.

Bowhunter: That's exactly the look i'm going for, front reciever hitch and all. What did you use to cut the skirt off? Have you noticed any increase in noise after the mod, like from the wind cutting through the undercarriage?

TheDogsAreDead said:
Sweet.

Thanks guys.

Bowhunter: That's exactly the look i'm going for, front reciever hitch and all. What did you use to cut the skirt off? Have you noticed any increase in noise after the mod, like from the wind cutting through the undercarriage?
Mine has the receiver hitch too, you can see it sitting on the ground in the picture. I've noticed no drop in gas milage, no extra noise, and the handling has tightened up a good deal. It's hard to notice the handling difference until you notice you are doing curves about 10mph faster then before and it feels just the same.

there is a write up on JU...

Have not noticed a thing with it removed . Really no difference. I used a good,sharp utility knife. Cuts very easy, as you see I trimmed the end caps as well. I like it much better. Hope it helps.

Used a Sawzall, no effects on gas mileage/ noise or anything, just better approach and looks IMO. BTW just in case youguys were wondering, the front fenders are raised, and those are 32's with a 4" lift. Sorry the pics kinda suck, I tried to lighten them to show better.
IMGP2300.jpg

IMGP2307.jpg

IMGP2306.jpg

IMGP2304.jpg

IMGP2298.jpg

Oh hell yeah. Thanks for the additional pics guys.

I'm surprised it cuts that easily even with a good utility knife.

I'm sold. Gonna try to get to this mod this weekend.

Take pics. If you can put the pieces in the sun for a bit first made them cut easy.

2065986_87_full.jpg

Used bowhuunter's utility knife method myself. Cut a lot easier than I expected

Well the last time I checked you had no replies. I now see there is a few,and I don't really need to reply, but I took the pic just for this thread so your getting it anyway.

DSCF1424.jpg

Looks good , nothing to it was there.

I did the same taking out middle and adding my drawtite hitch. (don't get the hangin low hidden hitch)

Bow hunter, looking good... I see ya got some rock rails and a front diff cover... been wheeling lately? Any events coming up around here?

Back