• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alloy USA R&P Purchase?

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA! Well, it's finally time to start throwing my jeep together... as of yesterday I just acquired my 8.8 and I need to start polishing the D30

I want to purchase 4.56 gears
Northridge4x4 just started a Canadian website and have the best online prices...everything local is out to lunch on gear set pricing...

Now NR4x4 offers ring and pinion sets from Alloy USA and Superior
Alloy sets go for $188 CAD
Superior sets go for $225 CAD

I haven't heard bad things about AlloyUSA, however with the recent change over in ownership, should I stay away from their products?
I realize almost everything is made in China now, but since the R&P are extremely vital components, I don't want to completely cheap out on them...

I may shop across the border, however I'm trying to stay away from brokerage fees... and overpriced shipping kills the deal as well

Thoughts?

I haven't heard bad things about AlloyUSA, however with the recent change over in ownership, should I stay away from their products?

I would.
dunno.gif

Billy

If you can still get alloy usa parts they are still made in the usa and are top quality. There is a new company that is offering the alloy product line. I think they're called ten high or something like that. You may be able to find out by searching on here. I have used Yukon myself and have had no issues with them. You will find many opinions as to what gears are best but very few have experience with all of them so it's kinda up to you to do some research. Good luck.

If you can still get alloy usa parts they are still made in the usa and are top quality. There is a new company that is offering the alloy product line. I think they're called ten high or something like that. You may be able to find out by searching on here. I have used Yukon myself and have had no issues with them. You will find many opinions as to what gears are best but very few have experience with all of them so it's kinda up to you to do some research. Good luck.

I hear ya, I was dead set on yukon gear until northridge opened a Canadian vendor... it would save me $300
Guess it's time to start turning over old rocks

Ten Factory. I believe they still sell R&P's under the Motive Gear name though. That's what I'm running. My first time setting up gears and they still run nice and quiet.
Billy

J-Roc (via PM) said:
Hey, I MAY undertake my first gear setup with these spare axles...
Is there a website or links you followed, minimal tools list etc?
Or did you have a helping hand?
I've head billavista's article a bunch of times, just wondering what the minimal tool list would be...

thanks
Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I hope you don't mind my posting this in your thread. I just figured, if I'm going to type all this out, I might as well make it accessible to others :)

I used the following:
BillaVista's "Gettin’ the Gears Done"
Yukon Installation Kit Instructions (PDF)
My ARB installation instructions
The instructions that came with my R&P

That's it as far as instructions. I didn't have anybody watching over my shoulder. I just took my time and went slow.

The tools do add up, but I installed an open carrier in the rear and I know I'm going to put an ARB back there within a year or so. I didn't want to pay for the gear setup twice... because of that, so it made sense for me.

I bought this dial-type, inch-lb torque wrench. I needed to convert the 1/4" drive all the way up to 3/4" drive for the pinion nut socket, so I bought a few adapters. (Obviously, you'll need a socket that fits the pinion nut too, if you don't have one.) You'll also need to make a tool to hold the pinion yoke as you tighten/loosen it over and over. I couldn't find one to buy, so I just made one out of some scraps.

You'll need a dial indicator with a magnetic base for sure. A fellow NAXJA member gave me a nice one completely free of charge!
cheers.gif

You'll need a press. If you make (or buy) setup bearings, which is highly recommended, you'll only need the press to remove the old bearings in the beginning and then to install the new bearings after you've got everything setup.

You'll need a regular torque wrench to torque the bearing caps and ring gear bolts. I borrowed/rented one from my local AutoZone.

And you'll probably want some kind of impact gun. I just used my 14v cordless one.

I think that's it (besides really basic hand tools), but if I think of anything else, I'll add it in.

HTH,
Billy

No worries, actually I was looking for a link for that inch pound torque wrench you used... helped me already!

Back