• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a check engine light, how to get a code?

Kevin108

NAXJA Forum User
Will my 00 XJ flash a dash light to give me a code after I give it a secret handshake or jump a couple pins or do I have to use a scanner?

Last edited:
It will flash codes after the proper sequence of off/on with the ign key(dont recall the exact method).

cycle the key 3 times, and leave in the run position. That year might display the code in the odometer spot (Pxxx) or flash the MIL to count out codes, depending on software.

You can usually take it to your local autoparts store and have them pull the codes. Basic code scanners are pretty cheap too and are quite handy to have around.

I bought a code reader/ programmer, but it cost over $300. If you are just interested in what the code is I would see if your local auto parts store will check it for you.

Even with a reader/programer in hand; I still had to go on the internet, do a search, and figure out what the code meant. That information did not come with the reader.

Interpretation of fault codes is not always straight forward.

Posting a detailed thread of your symptoms AND the exact code number will get you the best results here.

Interpretation of fault codes is not always straight forward.

Posting a detailed thread of your symptoms AND the exact code number will get you the best results here.

X2, have a free scan from any parts store and I can pm you the troubleshooting procedures for that given fault code. My bet is a missfire code. but what do I know?

Tim is right, it won't work on the 2000. You need a code reader or a scan tool to pull the code.

Let us know what you find.

It works on my 2000!

It works on my 2000!

I bet not.... When you do the key-clicky thing on mid 97's and above, all you get is self check diognostics of the instrument cluster itself.

Nothing on engine codes.

Just go to autozone. they will do it for free generaly. Although i have heard they are not allowed to "clear" the codes, simply read them.

I've been out of town for a long weekend so I haven't gotten to mess with it. We were going to take my XJ but my AC problems forced us to take my girlfriend's car instead.

Dad has nice code reader. I've got a part on order and whenever it gets here, I'll get over there and get the codes posted up.

P1494 (M) Leak Detection Pump Sw or Mechanical Fault Incorrect input state detected for the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) pressure switch​

P0441 (M) Evap Purge Flow Monitor Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during​
evaporative emission system operation

A simple search on Google with the search terms Jeep P1494 finds tons of information.

P1494 -
Leak Detection Pump (LDP) switch operation is monitored immediately after a cold start, with ambient temperature 40-90 degrees F and engine coolant temperature within 10 degrees F of ambient temperature. DTC will set in Powertrain Control Module (PCM) memory when PCM does not sense a change in switch state when LDP solenoid is energized.

Possible causes are:
-Leak Detection Pump defective.
-Vacuum hose leak or obstruction or gas tank cap defective.
-Defective PCM.
-LDP switch senses circuit open, shorted, disconnected, or corroded wires. The wire connector is a very common problem.

Back