• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt squeeling

Paul61001

NAXJA Forum User
so my belt only squeeled with ac from med to high while driving, not in park. so i replaced with a new one and with about 200 mile on it now and from day one with the new belt its alot worse and now squeels with the heat too. any ideas?

2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0

Might want to check and make sure the A/C compressor isn't locked up / check the condition of the clutch on it. If that doesn't help, check and make sure your belt tension is good - if it isn't, loosen the center bolt in the idler pulley and use the adjust bolt by the thermostat housing to tighten it more, then tighten the idler pulley bolt back down. If the adjust bolt won't turn don't force it too much, it may be frozen into the idler pulley knuckle and could snap off, go to a junkyard and pick up the P/S pump bracket + idler pulley assembly for like ten bucks and then try adjusting it.

also check the tension, mine was way too loose and squealed terribly until it was properly tensioned.

Back