• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj keeps cutting off

jeepin89xj

NAXJA Forum User
last weekend i put a distributor cap on but did not replace my rotor button the jeep made it all the way to the beach and back no problems then drove to work monday and tuesday all the way to williamsburg and back the jeep would cut off when i would first start itand put it in gear to go and was a lil hesitant when the gas was first push but made it there and back was heading to work this morning and got down 95 fine but got on 64 east and the jeep died had to have it towed so the tow truck guy said it sounded like the idel postion sensor so i got one form the junk yard and a new choke worked fine better then mine did but was headin down hull st and it just died again... but of you wait about and hour is will start again and run for likr 30 mins then die u can hear the fuel pump working so i dont think its that any ideas on what it mite be would help

My 89 had the same issue, CPS WAS the culprit.

winterbeater - interesting idea, never heard of that one, why does it work?

Back