• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Wrench

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Which is better,... the clicker version or the one with the arrow? Where is a good place to buy a decent one at a reasonable price?

You choose - clicker - more expensive, needs calibration, "easier" to use.
Beam - pointer, pretty much the oppsite. I happly used the beam type for years but when I lost it in a fire I replaced it with a clicker. With the clicker type reset it to zero when not in use.

I use "clickers" for general use - I don't have to watch the scale when I use them, which allows for greater "range of use."

I use "pointer" types for when I need to measure preload on a bearing - since I can usually get squarely in front of it. NOTE - if you can't get dead in front of the scale on those, you're going to read it wrong. Period. Full Stop.

Pointer types would still need infrequent calibration/checking, due to the fact that you are elastically straining the main beam of the wrench, and that will eventuallly cause deformation of the metal. Can't avoid it.

I'd like to upgrade my "pointer" types to "dial" types one of these days tho - just to make things a little easier on myself (I seem to end up hanging the pointer on whatever I'm wearing when I use it - and I don't know how I do that...)

5-90

I work at a hardware store, we specialize in wholesale American Made Hand Tools,

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]
torquewrenchconsolidated.jpg

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]

Consolidated Devices
torque wrench 3/8 dr
click type 10-75 foot lbs
molded plastic case
$40.00
[/FONT]

Thats one of the wrenches we have we also just got a lot of 3/8" Drive pointer type made for Craftsman, They are only 20.00 bucks American Made! 1-800-821-5503
Just give us a call or check us out at www.harryepstein.com

[/FONT]

i prefer the clickers, like said above keep the setting on 0 when not in use and you'll get years of accurate use

i use a a general use one from Craftsman 0-75 lb. ft.
and a cheapo Great Neck from AZ 20-150 lb. ft

It really depends on what your using it for, the clickers are faster where speed counts but only work for bolts. The beam type work for everything.

I just bought a clicker one, Sears had them on sale cheaper than the pointer type.

I'm now the next time one of these puppies goes on sale I'll have one in my tool chest...
Snap-On BRUTUS3R250D
or
Snap-On TECH3FR250

I usually buy Craftsman tools, but I the only tool I've heard negative things about with their logo on it is their Torque Wrenches.

I picked my clicker at Menards. [insert jingle]Save big money at Menards[/jingle]

IIRC it was only $25. I have no complaints as it is pretty close as far as accuracy. I brought it to work to verify it's correctness on one of the torque guages.

Accuracy: Of the wench is not all that important anyway. It 110 lb. for head bolts 5 even 10 LBs ether way is no big deal. The EVEN gradual application of torque across SOME torque pattern on CLEAN lubed fastener and threads is what counts. Use what ever wench falls into your hand first. Just use it right.

Last edited:
RCman said:
I usually buy Craftsman tools, but I the only tool I've heard negative things about with their logo on it is their Torque Wrenches.

Epinions.com really blasted the clicker Craftsman torque wrenches due to breakable plastic parts and no warranty. I think they carry 2 levels of wrenches,... the standard and then the "Professional" models whatever that means.

yardape said:
Epinions.com really blasted the clicker Craftsman torque wrenches due to breakable plastic parts and no warranty.

Yup, that's partly why. I also had a freind spend $109.99 on one and then was told they could do nothing about it when the plastic case on the end broke. $110 down the drain. As for other Craftsman tools, never had a problem and will continue to buy them, but not this time. I may end up spending a lot on the Snap-On wrench, but I'll also have a peice of mind that it will last and if I have a problem I'll be able to get a replacement or have it fixed. Buy the right tool, the first time.

RCman said:
I'm now the next time one of these puppies goes on sale I'll have one in my tool chest...
Snap-On BRUTUS3R250D
or
Snap-On TECH3FR250

Damn, those are sexy. Maybe I will knock off a 7-11 on the way home so I can get one.

I dont think that it would make that much of a difference would it? Maybe like a half pound off?

If you are going to do a lot of wrenching get the clicker, that is what all the pros use. You can't use the other one as a ratchet. Imagine trying to torque all your lug nuts and the thing won't ratchet. Not to mention having your head sideways the whole time watching the dial.

To calibrate...compare it with someone else's...say by trying to remove and retorquing a lug nut or head bolt.

AlohaBra said:
To calibrate...compare it with someone else's...say by trying to remove and retorquing a lug nut or head bolt.
say it's off and u want to fix it. how would you go about doing so? haven't checked mine but i know it had been sitting around for a while not set at zero. and i never did either.

Back