• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 to Chrysler 8.25...

Cardinal1

NAXJA Forum User
Hope this is in the right place...

I have a few questions regarding swapping out a Dana 35 for an 8.25, and hopefully I can get some answers on this forum that don't sound more like insults. There are a lot of arrogant people on other forums! I don't know a whole lot about this subject, so i am looking for some help.

So here goes... I have a '98 XJ Sport, and I have determined it has a d35. I have also heard they are garbage, so I want to swap. What do I need to know to purchase one? How do I determine spline count? Where is the best place to find one?

Thanks in advance!

The 96 plus will have the 29 spline 8.25 axle. It is a direct swap but there may be a difference in driveshaft length between the manual and auto tranny. Some 96's were 27 spline but I don't know how to tell the difference. If you get a 27 spline axle you can replace the carrier and axles with 29 spline units (like if you installed a locker and some alloy axles) but 29 spline 8.25 axles are plentiful. I hope this helps.

Back