• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's got 8-9" of lift and stock width axles?

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about going with the RK long arm kit. 8" Skyjacker lift coils and rear leaves with a shackle. I know I will need a SYE for the rear, will I run into any problems with the front driveshaft? The rear I was thinking about having a stock front ds extended. I will be going with an adjustable tracbar and HD mount.

I've got a 8.25 29 spline and D30...I'm running 34"s right now but I will probably upgrade to 36"s when I get the $. Will the 34"s look goofy for a few months? I know 36"s will be maxing out the D30 and 8.25...but I'm usually pretty easy on my jeep in the woods.

I defanitly wanna do this and keep the Jeep street legal, which is why I don't wanna toss some full widths under the jeep.

Anyone have any input on this?

You'll have to run tiny tires on the street to keep it legal, or have some low hanging bumpers. Remember, PA has a bumper height law.

As far as width and PA law, IIRC the law says the tires have to be inside the fenders/wheel wells, any flairs included.

Yea in they are a buggar concerning bumper height laws, I had a real problem with mine passing and I only have an RE5.5" lift and 35's. In Pa. we are registered as station Wagons and are only allowed to be 22" off the pavement to the mounting point, I am at 29.5 front and rear.

Of course it depends where you get it inspected, but then again I have been pulled over for being too high.

Now back to the question.

It is the size of the tire you are going to run weather or not you should up grade the axle, not the lift.

I am still on stock axles (well dana 44 rear) with 35's I just carry spare front axle shafts in case things go wrong.

www.pa-wheeling.com

8-9" of lift isnt hardly warranted in the case of anything shy of 40's. I'm somewhere around 10" over stock (too high) with my rear axle in the stock position, wheelbase wise, and the front pushed two inches forward. The sheetmetal is trimmed moderately, but only as much as was needed for fitment of the bushwhackers. The only extra clearancing came from hammering the pinch seam in the front fendwell down flat.

That setup clears 38's with more than enough room for 40's. 4.5" Backspacing on fullwidth 60/14 bolt, by the way.

I have a stock dana 30, and a Dana 44 I got out of an XJ. With 5.5" of lift I easily clear my little 33x10.5 tires. Could run 35-36" tires no problem with a little more trimming. Unless your going to run 39"+ tires I wouldn't go any bigger then 5.5". Plus unless all you do is mall-crawling I wouldn't want to run anything more then 35-36" tires on a dana 30, Honestly I wouldn't even go that big short of a Dana 44 front.

I had 35's with 8" lift and lowered it back down to 6.5. I had no need for that much lift, even if I went to 37's I would stay at 6.5".

I do have stock width D44 waggy front and D44 XJ rear.

Basically my situation as it is I have a 3" lift with 2" BB on top of it. I could replace the front coils and get new rear leaves(rear is sagged) but I would end up spending almost the same amount of money if I went to 8". I want to run 36"s without getting insane with cutting my fenders. I would be fine with the jeep looking a little to high for the tires...but am trying to do some research before I commit to this. If I do go 36"s I will be going chromoly shafts and probably 4.56's.

Heres how the jeep sits now...6" and 34"s...and they rub pretty good when I flex it out. The front doesn't really felx as much as I would like because they are only 3" coils.
HPIM0185.jpg

considered sawzall and control arm upgrade? i run the same setup 3" and a budget boost and i trimmed out the fronts and run 33's and it flexes like crazy (it will drop the top of the tire even with the rocker, even more when i install the chevy brakelines), i did upgrade the control arms and shocks tho and that makes a big difference, its my dd too and it looks good with a clean cut and flareless. just thought though, you'll be pushing it with 36's and stock axles strengthwise , i've also seen jeeps that high get REALLY tippy on the trail, but it all really depends on what kind of wheeling you do, i've seen many people run the rk setup with success but the stuck to 8 inches and under

It doesn't look like you trimmed any in that pic. If you trim a bit, they will fit with no problems and won't rub. No reason to go higher.

I've got rustys 9 inch coils and 36 inch swamper sxs and a 30 front.

I've never broken a spicer shaft, so I guess I'm not running good enough trails, we will see in november at johnson valley.

As far as height.....way too high.
As far as feeling tippy.....nope. Not bad. I've lifted a few tires here or there, but no flops.

Btw I don't reccomend my setup.

Run real axles.

Not dana 30s and skip the 44 go 60 or go home.

Blue XJ said:
It doesn't look like you trimmed any in that pic. If you trim a bit, they will fit with no problems and won't rub. No reason to go higher.

I trimmed the lowers...it still rubs a little up top...but if I went with 36"s I would have to hack my fenders off to keep them from rubbing. Plus when you trim to much...it makes the jeep look shitty.

Anyone know if the front ds will be fine with that angle? or will i have to mod it somehow?

Last edited:
so you are saying you want 8-9in of lift just because it looks good? i have 36 SX's with 4.88 gears and it sucks i have no power. 5.13 gears is what you need. also once you get that high you need to address your steering. your d30 is goin to hate you

Here's a pic of mine a few years ago at about 8" and 35's. It has since settled down to about 7.5".

MVC-010S.jpg

At this height you have to address steering, track bar, driveshaft (front and rear), gearing, brakelines, etc. It's not cheap to do it right. To get a decent pinon angle using the 30 you have to turn the pinion up but then you lose all your caster. I limped the 30 along the last few years (it served me well the previous 8 years) but it's gone and a Currie 9" housing and TrueHi 9" 3rd member are taking it's place.

XJOFFROAD said:
so you are saying you want 8-9in of lift just because it looks good? i have 36 SX's with 4.88 gears and it sucks i have no power. 5.13 gears is what you need. also once you get that high you need to address your steering. your d30 is goin to hate you

I have 4.88 gears and 35s and it doesn't feel sluggish :dunno:

Gasman said:
Here's a pic of mine a few years ago at about 8" and 35's. It has since settled down to about 7.5".

MVC-010S.jpg

At this height you have to address steering, track bar, driveshaft (front and rear), gearing, brakelines, etc. It's not cheap to do it right. To get a decent pinon angle using the 30 you have to turn the pinion up but then you lose all your caster. I limped the 30 along the last few years (it served me well the previous 8 years) but it's gone and a Currie 9" housing and TrueHi 9" 3rd member are taking it's place.

Did you have to get your front DS extended?

Back