• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready for my first lift want to make sure I got everything.

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be dong my first lift soon and wanted to make sure that I have every thing I need. Here is what have I have or will have soon. I would appreciate it if you guys can point out anything I might be missing.

lift Kit

Old Man Emu 2.5"
Shocks
Springs
Spacers
Bushings
U-Bolts
T-Case Drop Kit

Tools that I have

Socket set
SAE Wrench set
Metric Wrench set
Floor jack
Two Jack Stands

I know I will need a torque wrench. Any thing else?
Also does any one know the sizes for the stock rear shock bolts and leaf bolts? I'm thinking of replacing them.
Thanks in advance

You may need a track bar relocation bracket or adjustable track bar. A longer rear brake line may also be in order(front brake lines can be moved to allow more length).

Last edited:
The lower rear shock nuts are 3/4", I believe the uppers are 13 or 14mm. I think the rear leaf spring bolts are 13/16".
Don't forget a few days/week worth of soaking all bolts in PB Blaster, and don't forget a torch.

Old Man Emu 2.5"
Shocks
Springs
Spacers
Bushings
U-Bolts
T-Case Drop Kit

This is ALL you will need for a Fantastic 2" to 3" Lift IMHO.

2 Front 2" to 3" Coil Springs
1 Pair of Quick Disconnects
2 Rear 2" to 3" Leaf Springs
2 Front Nitro Shocks
2 Rear Nitro Shocks
1 Rear Brake Line Extension Kit
1 Set Grade 8 U-Bolts

There are lots of 3" Kits that will clear 31" Tires for way under $800. You can always order what isn't included seperately.

Also:
You will NOT need an Adjustable Track Bar until 3"s of Lift IMHO
You will NOT need a Transfer Case Drop Kit until 4" to 4.5"s of Lift IMHO. You want to have as much Clearance under the Transfer Case as possible.

However, if you wish you can Install an Adjustable Track Bar and/or Adjustable Lower Control Arms at 3"s of Lift. You really do not need them, however, they will be stronger and better than Stock. That would be your choice. I would at 3" of Lift. It will make your Lift Awesome IMHO.

PM me if you have questions I may be able to help you with.

Last edited:
You will need/want a good long 1/2" breaker bar and 6pt sockets to fit. I think the shackle/leaf bolts are 21 or 23mm, but you should check that. Removing the leaf springs on mine without the breaker and my meathead buddy would have been impossible.

If you are removing the track bar you will need a pickle fork.

I had a hand-held one and destroyed it.

I ended up buying one for my pneumatic hammer and it still took a while. HTH.

spring compressor? u can install the front springs without it, but it is easier and safer with one inho

I'm going to be dong my first lift soon and wanted to make sure that I have every thing I need. Here is what have I have or will have soon. I would appreciate it if you guys can point out anything I might be missing.

lift Kit

Old Man Emu 2.5"
Shocks
Springs
Spacers
Bushings
U-Bolts
T-Case Drop Kit

Tools that I have

Socket set
SAE Wrench set
Metric Wrench set
Floor jack
Two Jack Stands

I know I will need a torque wrench. Any thing else?
Also does any one know the sizes for the stock rear shock bolts and leaf bolts? I'm thinking of replacing them.
Thanks in advance

That kit sounds like it will work. Wait to install the TC drop untill after a test drive and alignment. If you don't get Driveline vibrations you don't need it, yet. About the same amount of tools I used on my first lift. Helpfull additions, 2 more jackstands, spring compressor, BFH, bottle jack, breaker bar,

yeah soak all the bolts you plan on removing in PB blaster (i prefer aero kroil) a week ahead of time. And i would leave my self a good weekend to have the jeep outta commision you never know what could break, etc.

HTH

Also:
You will NOT need an Adjustable Track Bar until 3"s of Lift IMHO

However, if you wish you can Install an Adjustable Track Bar and/or Adjustable Lower Control Arms at 3"s of Lift. You really do not need them, however, they will be stronger and better than Stock. That would be your choice. I would at 3" of Lift. It will make your Lift Awesome IMHO.

PM me if you have questions I may be able to help you with.

i personally took my 2000 xj to a shop to get mine aligned with a 2 inch lift because i have a shimmy in my front end and they wanted to move my track bar over and do the 3/4" over mod. instead of an ajustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket. so you cant say you WONT need one because i still do. and if thats not the case i will do a TC drop... so never say never on the mods he listed

You will need/want a good long 1/2" breaker bar and 6pt sockets to fit. I think the shackle/leaf bolts are 21 or 23mm, but you should check that. Removing the leaf springs on mine without the breaker and my meathead buddy would have been impossible.
x2. My weapon of choice is a 1/2" breaker bar with my 6 point deepwell impact sockets. Combined with heat I have been able to break almost anything loose.
And I would highly recommend an adjustable trackbar. I had severe death wobbles at almost 3" of lift. I didn't redrill the mount because I've heard of people screwing it up or over time the hole ovals out and then the trackbar can shimmy around.

whats a good adjustable trackbar for the OME 2" kit. I just had my lift installed but haven't picked up my jeep yet. My mechanic is taking it to get an alignment wondering if I'll need to replace the trackbar. I don't need my fiance getting the death wobble while driving and crashing the jeep.

I did almost the same lift (OME springs & shocks) w. new Metric Tonne spring packs and extended shackles in back. Netted a good 3". This was on a LWB MJ so I had less severe driveline angles to work with. But it did shift my front axle left about 5/8", and used a Teraflex adj. trackbar to re-center it. Worked well, no vibes, great handling and ride w. the OME stuff too. Do the tcase drop part last; but only if you have to.

Back