• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water profing

nwo98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I was out playing on the weekend ....yep i am a mudder and got into a bit of a deep hole with steep sides and when i backed up to take a different line my fan blew water on my distributor and the jeep stalled, i winched out and checked my air box to be safe and it was dry and by this time the jeep fired right up but coming back through the same hole it stalled again and this time the starter failed and i had to get towed home.....that sucked . So how do i waterprof the distributor. i am told they need to disapate heat....thank...

Silicone around the cap and install it

di-electric grease may help on the contacts themselves. Also, for connections that aren't moving and don't need to be removed often, you could spreay Liquid Tape which is "electrical tape" in a spray can. I just used this to cover a bus for my lights. Radio Shack carries it.

Having nice soft spark plug cable boots helps, when they get old and hard they leak. A tiny bead of silicon around the cap rim and plug up the distributor cap vent, maybe even the grommet where the wires run into the distributor. I've pretty much sealed mine air tight and never had any issues. Trouble is water proof is hard to do, water resistant is doable. If it does leak you want to be able to take it apart sometime and dry it out.
GoJeep did a good writeup on how to clean out the starter. Getting the junk out of the Starter and the Alternator can save premature brush wear.
I carry a spare, junkyard rebuilt starter around with me. The rebuild consisted of a little cleaning, grease and new brushes. I also keep a spare alternator on the shelf.
Rerouting the intake and thorough cleaning are almost a must if you mud. Simple things like cleaning the sand out of the rear drums can save a brake job.
Mudding is labor intensive fun. Grease, oil and general lubrication are your friends, a few hours spent cleaning and greasing can save days of grief down the road.

Last edited:
Check out www.strike-hold.com

Basically, its a TCE (Trichloroethylene) spray. Supposed to waterproof electrical components. I saw it at the outdoor show where the guy sprayed extension cords and light sockets then dunked them under water - they kept working and he didn't get shocked.

Wow takes some brass to pull that stunt.

thank guys. i do grease after every run. first time i ever had trouble like this, also have new cap rotor and wires and plugs on the jeep 500 miles ago .....just bad luck i guess the starter is funny though it spins and if it is out of the jeep `the gear pops out like it should but put it back in and it just spins.....took it out again took it apart and cleaned everything with brake clean even though it did not look dirty and put it back together and still had to be towed in.....new starter is on the way

Back