• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I dont even know where to start...

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
Forgive me, im only 18 and not too familiar with Jeeps steering components.
But I need a little help here:

When I take a hard turn in any direction, esp at low speeds, the wheel feels like it jogs back and forth. Kinda feels like i have it in 4wd. I dont hear anything creaking or grinding...

Also, this may or may not be related, but i feel it should be mention:
A few months ago, I slid into a curb at low speed. So the steering wheel is not center and it has a slight lean to the right now. (yes i know the roads are tilted)

What I have tried is:
Checking tire pressure (35)
Checking alignment (1/8" toe out)
Visual inspection for broken parts (seemed fine)

I run 235s on stock suspension. 00 4 dr.

Thanks in advance.

When I take a hard turn in any direction, esp at low speeds, the wheel feels like it jogs back and forth. Kinda feels like i have it in 4wd.

The u-joints in the front axle shafts are binding and need to be replaced. Renting, borrowing, or buying a Ball Joint Tool for the job is very highly recommended.

Read these links-
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm
http://www.jeepin.com/features/ujoint/index.asp
http://www.delta4x4club.com/TECH/UNIVERSAL/UJOINTS.php

Loosen the two bolts and turn the little adjuster fitting on the Drag Link to center your steering wheel.

standard.jpg

If the front axle U-joints check out OK, have a look at the top Trac bar joint. You may also want to look at the inside of your tires for signs they are rubbing on the lower control arms. My steering wheel shifted a quarter of a turn to the right and my tires would rub, a new Trac bar cured both problems. Mine was bent, though the steering wheel shift can come from Trac bar movement top or bottom.
Have somebody turn the steering wheel a few inches left and right a couple of dozen times, while you look very closely at most all of the steering components and the Trac bar.

What do you mean if they "Check out". I think i could replace them, but what am i looking for to see if they are the problem?

I also hear a squeaking noise at low speeds, could it be from the same problem?

Yes.

U-joints are a maintenance item like tires, mufflers, or brakes, when they are worn out, you replace them. If you suspect they are worn out, replace them, and then you can be sure they are good. They do not cost a great deal and once you learn how to replace them they don't take long to install.

Thanks all for your help. Esp Tim, i would lost without those links you posted. I will keep you guys posted when i screw it up somehow.

What do you mean if they "Check out". I think i could replace them, but what am i looking for to see if they are the problem?
I get the tire off the ground, jam a ratchet extension through the yoke and lightly twist the tire until the extension jams. If you can see the movement at the rubber ring around the bearing caps, chances are the bearing i shot.
Sometimes the wear is easy to see, like the "X" ends of the U-joint, flopping around in the end caps. They tend to dry out (loose all the grease), the bearings rust and they bind, unless ignored way past too long, then they start to fall apart.

I get the tire off the ground, jam a ratchet extension through the yoke and lightly twist the tire until the extension jams. If you can see the movement at the rubber ring around the bearing caps, chances are the bearing i shot.
Sometimes the wear is easy to see, like the "X" ends of the U-joint, flopping around in the end caps. They tend to dry out (loose all the grease), the bearings rust and they bind, unless ignored way past too long, then they start to fall apart.

Guys, this is my first car... If it can be ignored, maltreated, misused, abused or forgotten about, I have probably done it.
Im still learning :read:

I would just raise a front tire off the ground, turn the steering wheel all the way to one side (doesn't matter which way) and rotate the tire. If the wheel and tire tries to go back straight as it rotates there's your problem, rusty ujoint.

They can be easily changed with a vice, hammer and a couple large sockets. You might want to have someone walk you through your first one though, it's easy to have a needle bearing fall between the trunnion and cap and destroy your new joint.

Yes.

U-joints are a maintenance item like tires, mufflers, or brakes, when they are worn out, you replace them. If you suspect they are worn out, replace them, and then you can be sure they are good. They do not cost a great deal and once you learn how to replace them they don't take long to install.

OMG! :shiver:Jeeps need maintenance too?

I just thought they just needed fixing like FORDs, Fix Or Repair Daily and Just Empty Every Pocket!

Back