• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 misses briefly

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Here's just a FYI posting. I have a '92 4.0. I noticed that it would completely stop running (cut-out) for a very brief instant every once in a while. At first it was just a couple of times and then it went completely good for a month or so. The odd symptom was that the engine tach indication would go almost to 0 for just an instant. Seemed not right since the engine didn't have a chance to slow down RPM in just the brief instant of the cut-out.

After a month or so of good operation it started again and rapidly got worse and worse until I experienced a cut-out more than once per minute. Then the alternator stopped charging the battery. I purchased and installed a new alternator and... no more cut-outs!

My guess is that the alternator was somehow shorting the electrical system out for just an instant, causing the injectors or some other electrically controlled feature to quit and causing the cut-out.

FYI...

Mike

Back