• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still have this issue...

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
well, few weeks back i posted about my rear U-joint at the pinion breaking after a few miles of a fresh install...

found out the reason, the rear pinion yoke was missing a section that held the cap in place..

so, i replaced the yoke, and put a new spicer joint in..

thought all my problems were fixed, but after 2 days of wheelin, the new yoke broke and i lost the U joint again....

last time it broke, i had it parked on a hill, i noticed the Axle was wrapping backwards and causing the pinion to go straight up there for breaking the Yoke and U-joint..

Went ahead at camp, jacked it up, took the 6* shims out, and torqued the U-bolts down to 75lbs. put JB weld on the Yoke (sat for 24hrs), new U-joint, and sure enough 5 miles later it all broke again.. noticed this time that one side of the Axle was wrapping worse then the other side.. still!

Im having all of these problems, with 33x14x15 Boggers on a Dana 35, i was sure if i were to have problems, it would be the axle shafts breaking, but...nope!

anyone have these issues before? when on flat land, the pinion angle is perfect..

at first i thought maybe the quick solution was a 8.25 and call it a day.. but i am lookin for oppinions first!

bastard pack, 6 leafs total, 3" AAL and Cut Main XJ leaf. 5" lift total. with MJ shackles.. No blocks..

I didn't know that the yoke was the weak spot on a Dana 35. I'd say you didn't use enough JB Weld. LOL. It sound like you FU your springs with the 6" risers that everybody says to never use. LOL. Search bastard pack and build some decent junkyard springs. It's the cheapest decent way to get lift. And replace your yoke. Forget about trying to glue a high strength critical part. You could let it sit for 24 years and it wouldn't get strong enough.

EDIT: Maybe I misundersood your "6* shims". Whatsthat? I thought it was blocks.

Last edited:
If your springs are wrapping too much it can cause your u-joint and yoke to bind Breaking it. I broke two, then got longer spring perches and have not broke another... yet...

6* shims are a "Wedge" that angles the pinion angle up by spacing the rear of the spring perch 1/2" farther away from the springs then the front of the perch.

I got rid of the shims and got the U-bolts as tight as (reasonably) possible. thinking maybe the axle was loose causing the perch to push the leafs up, so the axle could roll back.

Disclaimer: The leafs themselves are not "Rolling" or "wrapping" its the axle itself moving under the leafs. Im wondering if a longer Perch would do the job? Obviously it wouldnt be worth putting larger perch's on a D35.. put im just trying to plan out my solution..

edit: Could 14" wide tires really be the main culprit? someone advised fix it the way i already have tried, and swap tires... sounds like money well waisted IMO.. i personally like my tires (thought of buying a new set of the same size)

If the axle is moving under the spring . Then the u-bolts are loose or the center bolt may be shifting in the spring saddle..

Nick

Disclaimer: The leafs themselves are not "Rolling" or "wrapping" its the axle itself moving under the leafs.

If the axle is moving free of the leafs... I would think that would not be safe to drive.

any way to get a pic of your setup? I don't think tires have anything to do with it, unless you have so much horse power the extra traction is causing the issue...

Get someone in the drivers seat and stand out and watch what your springs are doing when they hit the gas. Check to see if the spring are wrapping enough to cause the yoke to bind.

Do your spring center pins go through the perches? If not that's probably a big part of your problem.

edit: Could 14" wide tires really be the main culprit? someone advised fix it the way i already have tried, and swap tires... sounds like money well waisted IMO.. i personally like my tires (thought of buying a new set of the same size)
What gears do you have?

OK.. I will be taking pictures later.. To answer the question NO the spring perches are NOT perfectly flat.. if anything they are rounded to the axle shape.

Yes the center pins are in the spring perch.. made sure all measurements were spot-on

3.55 gears

OK.. I will be taking pictures later.. To answer the question NO the spring perches are NOT perfectly flat.. if anything they are rounded to the axle shape.

Yes the center pins are in the spring perch.. made sure all measurements were spot-on

3.55 gears

Well gee, I think we may be onto something here. :lecture:

How is the axel going to resist wrapping if it has round spring perches? :doh:

Back