• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for advice on pulling motor

sbilbrey

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a 98 XJ Sport that was recently in an accident that took out the front pretty bad. I found a 99 XJ Classic that looks real nice but spun a rod bearing. I am planning on pulling the motor from the 98, replacing the rear main seal and placing it into the 99.

I have done engine pulls on lots of cars, but never a 4 wheel drive. I have always pulled the motor and tranny as a unit. Do I do the same with the Jeep? Include the transfer case? Where do I disconnect, at the universals?

Second question, what are the two bolts at the top holding the tranny to the motor? They seem to be some six sided star pattern.

Third question, the motor I am pulling has a new water pump, serpentine belt, rad hoses, and thermo (unfortunately new rad did not survive the accident). I also have a K&N cold air kit and I plan on doing the "Cheep Jeep" muffler "up-grade" for a more aggressive sound. Other than changing all the fluids, the plugs, wires, and cap, and cleaning up the motor and engine bay, does anyone have any other recommendations that they would do while making this switch?

Finally, I am going to end up with a 98 XJ with a smacked front end and a motor with a spun rod bearing. Will there still be any salvagable parts? If so, they will be available for a couple weeks after the conversion is done (this week) for best offers. Don't be afraid to make a low offer I am going to junk whatever is left. I live in Marysville, Ohio.

Thanks for the advice.
Sammer

Those weird top bolts are probably the TORX ones everyone always talks about. Replace them with regular bolts. Hopefully someone else will tell you the size of TORX. But if you buy a set of bits, you'll figure out which one fits.

Torque up the main and rod bearings while you are at it. You'll be surprised at how loose some of them will be. Don't loosen them, just bring them slowly up to spec.

You can pull just the motor. Just make sure you support the tranny. You will need to take the bolts out of the flex plate. there is an inspection cover that you will need to take off to access them. You can turn the flex plate with a pry bar or just turn the crank bolt.

I have twice pulled the engine/trans/TC all together. I did it this way after failing to be able to remove those Etorx bolts. It is said that they can be removed with a ratchet, multiple extensions and a little ujoint, but I gave up after trying it for a while. All that needs to be done to do it this way is removing the radiator and the header panel.

Ahh yes!!! The top two torx bolts...:eek: Who ever came up with this design should ...:hang:

I've pulled the engine both ways(Engine only or engine and trans together)

Good Luck
Nick

Well...I guess it is off to Sears this morn to pick up a set of Torx sockets. Its the last thing that needs to come out before the engine can be lifted (I hope/think).

I like the idea on pulling the pan and replacing retorquing the rod and main caps. Does anyone else have any recommendations? FYI, the motor has 153K+ miles on it, but as these 4.0 seem to be known for, it is still running strong.

On the tranny, I am planning on draining. I assume there is a filter behind the pan, so I am going to drop the pan and replace the filter, although I do have to give Jeep props on the tranny drain plug. Should I pull the torque converter and drain and refill it while I am this close to it?

What about the rad? My new one got toasted in the accident. The guy I bought the 99 from says he had no prob with overheating. But, I will have it out.

Thanks for all the info.

Sammer

Back