• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing 4.0l head

I had to remove all the rockers and pull the push rods out. That is how it is described in my FSM. So I guess the valves themselves do stay in, but the push rods need to be out.

removing 4.0l head... stupid question can it be removed without removing the valves?

Dude, come on! You need to learn a whole lot more before you do ANYTHING. The valves open up into the combustion chamber. The valves cannot be removed without taking off the head. You pull the push rods out after removing the rocker arms so that you don't bend the push rods when you pull the relatively heavy head.

You can remove the head with the rockers on. you can with the push rods in too they'll just fall out :D

Just don't put weight on them like winter said :)

Last edited:
you can pull the valve keepers and springs and just leave the valves in the cyclinders but good luck getting it back to gether if you dont put the valves into the head with the springs and keepers befor you put the head back on.

Back