• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire carrier question

f1tbiker6

NAXJA Forum User
im looking at the detours tailbone tire carrier because it looks like its well built for the price and i like the design. however i dont know whether or not to get it it with the offset feature, which tilts the tire to match the pitch of the hatch.

so should i get it straight or offset? and pics from the side of xjs with both would be awesome, thanks!

One can also check the bottom of the page for Similar Threads.

Just my .02

those didnt really answer my specific question about the pitch feature that detours offers... what are the benefits to having it pitched like that, is it purely for looks or is their a mechanical advantage?

I like it tilted personally.

100_4569.jpg

100_4419.jpg

Personally I only like the tire tilted when it sits up higher. With this tire carrier mounting the tire that low I vote for no tilt.

Here is a pic of mine, tilted and higher up.

0524090723a.jpg

moabfeb092071medium.jpg

It is your Jeep though, to each their own. :wave:

Last edited:
those didnt really answer my specific question about the pitch feature that detours offers... what are the benefits to having it pitched like that, is it purely for looks or is their a mechanical advantage?

Oh... my bad. Let me answer your specific question then. Better clearance and it looks different. How's that?:yelclap:

Higher for departure angle as others have stated, also having the weight balanced over the bearing/pivot will put less stress on it vs having all the weight outboard of the pivot.

I'd say it's purely a looks thing... with the wheel mount at the height it's at, if you tilt the spare it matches the glass but makes the lower half stick out. If you go straight it matches the tailgate but makes the upper half of the tire stick out. Either way, it's not going to match the contours of your liftgate completely.

That being said, the tilt will prevent you from using the CB antenna mounting tab on top of the carrier. Also, while it lifts the bottom corner of your spare up a bit, it also makes it stick out a few inches further. I personally like it straight myself.

Buy either one, if you don't like it, I'm sure Detours would be happy to make you a new mount. The mount is only held in place with two Grade 8 bolts so it would be very easy to swap out.

Here's the closest thing I have to a side view. It's actually a Slimline, but it's the same swingarm. Same BFG 33 inch MT's as the white XJ a few posts earlier.

100_7708.jpg

Back