• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interior door handles

zr2toxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a lot of searching, but haven't found much. Are the interior door handles available? I have a 99 XJ 4 dr. The part that is broken is the plastic where the door lock & latch rods attach to the interior handle for the front doors. I'm not talking about the clips that hold the rod into place. It's the backside of the interior door handle where the rods hook in.

I'll post pics in a minute...

Well, later on the pics, can't find the sync cord. :twak:

Stop by the junkyard and pick up the parts you need.

If new parts are still in stock at the Jeep warehouse, they are expensive.

Seconding the junkyard suggestion. However, have you checked quadratec, discountjeepparts.com (I got a door latch mechanism from them for 1/3 dealer list price), teamcherokee.com, etc? If you can find the part number (it'll be about six to nine digits) stamped into it anywhere, google for it and you'll almost certainly find someone selling it.

I usually go online as I have never been able to find a part for my XJ at my local junkyard. They just never seem to have XJ's, much less late models.

Try these part numbers...

5507 6054 - Front right handle assembly
5507 6055 - Front left handle assembly

$39.80 at my favorite online OEM parts dealer (mopardiscountparts.com). Not junkyard cheap, but still cheap for a brand new factory part.

Hey, thanks a lot guys for the suggestions. I can never seem to get to a JY, although I'd like to find the time.

And thanks, fyrfytr, for the PN's I am hoping I fixed it. I found my sync cord & am uploading now what I did. Stay tuned.....

I got up Sat AM & started looking at the back of the handles.

MyXJ331.jpg

I started thinking of ways to repair it & knew there was plenty of room to come up with something.

I had some aluminum kicking around & traced around the plastic pieces for the handles & figured I could try to screw them together. I figured if it didn't work, I wasn't out anything. So I made some of these:

MyXJ334.jpg

I put the aluminum in a vise, cut them with a hacksaw, drilled them & cleaned the edges up with a file.

Then attached them to the handles. I decided the screws would hold better in the metal so I drilled small pilot holes then used some self-tapping screws & a grinder to cut them flush.

MyXJ341.jpg

Did that on all of them that were broken. It worked good & seems to be solid.

MyXJ332.jpg

MyXJ342.jpg

I just figured if I replaced them that the new ones would break too. Maybe these will too, but it didn't cost anything & didn't take more than an hour of my time to do both front door handles. We shall see whether it holds up..........

Good idea! You could put some JB weld between them and then screw them... might spread out the load more then forcing the load on two points (the screws). Just my two cents, I like your creative problem solving!

Hey thanks, it's good to know they are available, I couldn't find them anywhere. It's also good to know I just saved myself $100 if these stay together.

Back