• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge Transfer Case SYE

Turtle

NAXJA Forum User
Need a transfer case for my 1993 XJ with a built motor. Thinking about the Dodge unit, but do the make a SYE for it?

It appears that the NP241 already has a fixed yoke, but I would need a tailshaft housing kit, anyone know where I can get one?

Not finding much on this subject in the search, found some info in a Jeep Perfoprmance Handbook that states I would need this TS housing kit

any reason your not using a 231 or 242?

JeeperJohn I will post back if I do this swap.

Beakie The dodge transfer case is a NP231 and has the wider chain already in it and the 23 spline, I purchased this Jeep in a basket with a built motor and the current NP241 has a big hole in the case from maybe the chain breaking and creating this hole. So I could rebuild a NP231 with the larger chain, or buy a good Dodge unit that already has this for about $100 at a U-Pull yard. The chain alone would cost more than this and I would have to rebuild.

the dodge 241 case will bolt right up and it has 6 planetary gears opposed to only 3 in the jeep 231 or 242 along with a wider chain. i am using one that i converted to 21 spline to use with the older aw4. so far no problems and can get them from older ram trucks or ramchargers.

Nope everything i have read on them say's slip yoke.to bad bigger planetary,chain and bearings.also have to modify tranny input to install in early model xj's.just not worth messin with. x2 on the 241 OR.

I have a 241 out of a JK (the non OR version). It worked great in my XJ and bolted right up. Didnt have a speedo drive though, so I upgraded to the Rubi 241OR a couple weeks ago. The non OR 241 was BEEF compared to a stock 231. If you dont need a speedo, that is another option. You will need to get yokes from Tom Woods or someone else to replace the flanges, but you wont need a SYE with it.

Just throwing it out there.

~James

Cool thanks for the link, they have a SYE specific for the Dodge transfer case and it looks like it has the speedo port. $340

If you can run the Jeep SYE with the Dodge TCase this would be cheaper, not sure if there is a difference in this kit or not. As long as the rear output housing is the same bolt pattern it should work.

Last edited:
maybe, but i dought it i would think they would just make the one kit then, maybe a difference in thickness of the shafts or something, glad i could help :cheers:

FWIW, I bought a complete tcase from JBConversions almost 10 years ago, with the 231D internals and the SYE. Good price, and no issues with it since.

Back