• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackle box

bobyep

NAXJA Forum User
So i searched and couldn't find anything that helped my question so here it is.

With my 5.5 re springs and stock shackle i.m pinning the shackle to the back of the box. i don't want to do a relocation bracket or boomerang shackle that will add any more lift.

So my question is has anyone beefed up the shackle box and cut out part of the back of it to let the shackle have room to move? and yes i know that would require trimming the bumper mount and loosing one of its bolts.

So i searched and couldn't find anything that helped my question so here it is.

With my 5.5 re springs and stock shackle i.m pinning the shackle to the back of the box. i don't want to do a relocation bracket or boomerang shackle that will add any more lift.

So my question is has anyone beefed up the shackle box and cut out part of the back of it to let the shackle have room to move? and yes i know that would require trimming the bumper mount and loosing one of its bolts.

A boomerang shackle won't add lift and is a better solution than cutting the rear bulkhead in my opinion. In fact, once you stop limiting the shackle's travel, you could lose a little lift.
Billy

My 5.5 RE springs were 1 inch longer than my 4.5 RE springs. Even with a boomerang the shackle would hit the back of the box. With a stock shackle the 5.5 will not flex out flat, you need a longer shackle and a relocation kit to make the spring work correctly.

well a boomarang shackle with no lift will still make the spring eye hit in the same place.

thanks for the quick responses.

the question still is "has anyone beefed up the shackle box and cut out part of the back of it to let the shackle have room to move?"

I cut out the back of the shackle box and trimmed the bumper mount and I have had no issues with it yet. I am planning to make a rear bumper and reinforce the rear bulkhead so I didn't consider it as a permanent solution. After wheeling with it that way I don't think there would be any problems with it.

ok so my plan is to put a 1/4" plate running from under the bumper mount to the end of the bulkhead. then cut out the back of the box and the corresponding plate. this should leave a peice above the hole that is around an inch and lots of surface area on both sides. then weld the plate to the bulk head. then bend a u shaped peice to weld onto the plate that comes out where the shackle won't hit it. that should give me more than enough strength to make up for the material i remove. So basically i'm just going to make the box bigger and the bulkhead stronger.

jeeperjohn how much did you trim out?

ok i found the thread from when you did yours http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993590&highlight=cutting+shackle+box
so i see how you did it.

how long are you shackles?
how much hard wheeling have you done with it cut out.
I think my shackles are supposed to add 3/4" of lift. I have wheeled the hell out of it and had no problems. I welded the body panels together at the corner because before the mod my shackles hit the rear bulkhead and ripped out the spot welds on both sides.

Back