• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough start/idle

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
Lately my 2000 XJ has been running a little rough when i first start it up. It used to do this every once in a while, but now does it pretty consistently. I'm able to start it, but then it runs very rough for a minute or two and acts like it's going to die (sounds like its gasping for breath almost). I give it gas but that doesn't do anything usually and i just have to wait a minute.

it usually only does this after i've been driving it for a while. the oil pressure is also very low when i first start it up. not sure what's going on with it... maybe something with the oil sending unit, spark plugs, fuel backdraining mechanism or camshaft positioning sensor? Any thoughts?

I have a 99 and it does the same thing when I first start it. Usually the first start of the day but it has that same "huffing" idle. I have already solved the bak drain issue with a one-way inline check valve but that didnt help. I lso have to cycle the key a few times to get it to start so I know its fuel pump time. My point is that you are having the same issues I am and probably need to rebuild/replace your fuel pump. You can get the kits on EBay for around $80 shipped. Hope that helps...:wave1:

It might not be the same issue as yours. 00-01 had a heat soak issue that had a TSB to put a heat shield on the #3 injector. Yours is from a cold start, where is is from a hot start.

Back