• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solvents

Jump This

Just another minion!
I couldn't decide where to put this one, so it ends up here where most of us do our own garage work.

What type/brand solvent do you run in your garage solvent tanks?
I'm planning on adding a 40 gal. tank to the garage this weekend and
was wondering what you have found that works.
Safe would be nice, function is a priority.
Environmentally sound is also on the priority list.

Holy cow, you just opened up a whole 'nother ball o' wax throwin' that environmental twist in there, haha. I dont know if Super Clean is biodegradable but it works and rinses w/water.

What I was thinkin' is that some of the other Cali boys that run solvent tanks at work would have the appropriate answer. OSHA is all over solvents and VOC's out here.....

Funny you posted this. I was getting ready to order some of this for my parts washer.

http://www.tptools.com/Product.aspx?display_id=708

I haven't used it personally, but anything from tp tools is top quality.
(most everything they sell is made in the USA, no import crap...:D)

I have found that safety kleen water based solvent works well if you have a heated tank. I have not tried any citrus based solvents but I am sure they work well at lower temps and that's probably the route I would take if I were installing a tank.

What I was thinkin' is that some of the other Cali boys that run solvent tanks at work would have the appropriate answer. OSHA is all over solvents and VOC's out here.....

Dealerships mostly use water. Quite some time ago they switched to pressurized soapy water parts washers. You put the parts in, close the door, and turn on the machine for a given time.

Do you think Bonnie would donate our dish washer for this type of work?

:laugh:
You know, that's pretty funny but an old dishwasher with a hot water feed would probably work quite well for parts that would fit in it. You could probably find a commercial DW from a restaurant going out of business and have a real nice unit. I bet regular dishwashing soap would work well too.

I don't know what I have in mine, but it burns your eyes when you open the lid and practically takes powder coat off.:D My friend from Havasu got it for me. It runs about $90 for 5 gallons. Unfortunately I am not sure of the brand but I can find out. Most common California friendly tanks now are heated and use water and a simple green type product. They work very well but are pricey.

We have 20 water base solvent tanks that are all heated, they suck. The old style sovent is so much better, just don't know where to buy it anymore. I need 15 gal of it.

Last edited:
Back