• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakelines

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on replacing ALL of my brake hard lines. Anyone know what i will need? Are all the lines the same size? Also should 1 25 foot roll be good enough or should i get 2? Thanks for your help.

97 xj 4.0 ax15 231

Brake lines come in 25 ft rolls? I guess I just learned something.

Besides the hard lines, you'll need a tubing cutter, a tube flaring tool (i recommend double flare), and a tube bender or bending pliers. Use the old lines as a template.

I plan on replacing ALL of my brake hard lines. Anyone know what i will need? Are all the lines the same size? Also should 1 25 foot roll be good enough or should i get 2? Thanks for your help.

97 xj 4.0 ax15 231
very good decision... my rear brake line blew up and gave me an unexpected introduction to a guardrail last fall. The brake lines are 3/16" diameter I believe, and use english threading not metric (I knew this, but when I got my second prefabbed brake line segment for the right rear on-axle line I matched the threads and it fit for a thread or two on a metric one, leaving me scratching my head for a while till I noticed my mistake)

The line from the master cylinder/pressure divider valve block to the rear is going to be hell to do all in one piece, especially to get it under the steering shaft. I would suggest doing that one in two sections. To do this I went to a junkyard and ripped enough stuff apart that I could get one of these lines out unbent, then used that as a jig to form my new line. While you're at it, replace the soft lines too - there are 3 of them and they are fairly cheap, so might as well do them just in case because it saves bleeding the brakes twice.

If your brake lines are in bad shape, you may also want to replace the fuel return line - it's the same material as the brake lines and mine was rusted even worse.

EDIT: also, where are you in MA? I'm central, pm me if you want some help at any point.

Last edited:
check with your local jeep dealer for the lines. I had to replace mine this past winter on my 98 sport and was able to get all the hard lines(front+rear pre bent) for less than 100.00 from my local jeep dealer. it's alot easier than trying to bend them yourself.

You can also get brake lines in different lenghts with the threaded nuts installed a few compression fittings and a tubing bender you are good to go.

You can also get brake lines in different lenghts with the threaded nuts installed a few compression fittings and a tubing bender you are good to go.

Not picking on you here just want people to know there is a differance if the wrong term is used at the parts counter.

The actual "compression fittings" are not only illegal in all 50 states to use on brakes(from an inspection point of view) they are also very very dangerous as they can blow out at any time. Like we need something else that can go out at any time on our Jeeps, right

Know if you were actually meaning to refure to the brake line "Unions" they are the ones that the pre-made lines are joined together with and will thread right on. The "unions" are perfectly legal and have used them plenty of times myself. They look like a tall/long nut, usually made of brass.

You can also get compression fittings which are specifially made for brake lines they are called poly steel napa part # 7305x3 for 3\16 brake line.

Back