• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the heck is this plug??

supark

NAXJA Forum User
As I've been getting my new to me cherokee in tiptop shaped, I noticed the little wire and plug disconnected in the engine bay. Anyone have any clue what it is and where it should be connected?

CIMG0063.jpg

Looks like the vacumn line for the heater control valve, seen in the picture right behind the yellow dipstick.

Ha that is an EXCELLENT guess actually. I just checked and a very similar vacuum line is securely fastened to the valve, so no dice there.

CIMG0079.jpg

However, I looked a bit more and noticed that this valve is missing a connector. So I hooked it up and it's a perfect fit.. this bears the question, does it belong there? Thanks for your help!

CIMG0080.jpg

CIMG0081.jpg

Mine's disco'd and plugged cause I bought a pos replacement valve that leaks through the rod(just like the old bad one did!) and I didn't return it soon enough. There's a reason the newer XJs just did away with that valve.

I'm not sure what that other line was, but the one that was off was definitely the heater control valve. My guess was helped by two things. You didn't mention it was running odd. The line was tan, which I recall being the same color as the valve control line on my 89.

Where's my $200 dangit. :}

Now for $200 and the Daily Double Alex, the vacuum line was disconnected because.....
How well was the A/C working, if at all?

You know, when I bought it and tried the AC, it didn't really blow as cold as you would expect given the refrigerant had just been replenished. Need to try that out..

I just replaced that piece and that is where it goes.

I was really hoping it might be the cause of my slightly "lumpy" idle, but having read a multitude of threads - it sounds like these 4.0 engines just have this normally

No, I don't think a 'lumpy' idle is normal. We've got four of 'em, from 137k to over 200k miles, and none of them is lumpy. The amount of air this little hose could pass probably wouldn't affect idle speed or quality. What it could do, though, is cause the O2 sensor to richen up the mixture, giving poor mileage, or cause the HVAC system to malfunction. Did the heat- A/C work OK? Was air blowing only from the defroster? The vacuum at this fitting comes through the control panel, and if the dashpots on the duct doors don't get strong enough vacuum, the system defaults to the windshield vents. Let us know how it's working, and if you had any of the problems I just described.

Back