• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire blowout...

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving down the highway and something tore a nice hole in my tire, luckily I was able to keep it on the road so my only problem is that I need a new tire. I have 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson baja radial MTX's. My question is: Is there a problem that the tread depth on a new tire is 18/32" and I measured my tires to be approx 14/32"? Would that cause problems or is the difference small enough that I would be fine? I am on a relatively tight budget so if I can get away with it I will just get one tire and put it up front, so it wont be on drive wheels, unless it may cause serious problems, then I will pick up 2 and have a full size spare, but that would more than double my cost, so if I can avoid it at all I will for the time being. Just with winter coming up I need the four wheel drive and everything in good shape, so I need to be sure I wouldnt be causing more problems with something like this

You'll be fine. Your tires will never be exactly the same height, what with variations in temperature and pressure. 4/32"s difference is probably not much more than the effect of rotating in a fifth tire (full-size spare) every few thousand miles. I do that, and haven't yet had a problem.

ok, yeah, i think it will be about 4/32 to 5/32 difference, but not sure, i was measuring w/ a ruler so idk how deep I actually got, but somewhere in that range. I was only curious cause of the fact that there is only 18/32 total, who knows, shouldnt be a probelm, but I guess I will find out sooner or later

Back