• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

prefill new oil filter?!?

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Was going to hijack oversized filter thread, chose not to.

I always prefill my '98's oil filter to build up pressure quicker, end up wasting some Mobil but what the hey.

Still going to do this, is this a common practice/worth doing?

i find if u let is sit after puting oil in the filter , a lot will soak into the filter itself, the put it on quickly.

I've wondered about this too. If you just poured oil into the top of the head, and the engine is pretty cool, is this beneficial or just to make you feel better, like whistling in the dark?

I keep topping it off, end up losing maybe half the oil when it goes horizontal.

Maybe I'll just half fill -it, whip it on real quick before it begins drooling on my hand, that's when the hand tremors begin :gee:

probably will still have as much oil in it anyway, and none on my hands,

thanks for the brainstorm,

Fishncars, even those lipless fish you and I prolly catch knows that synthetics cling to everyting (weird mood tonite ha ha ha)

I can't whistle for s#&t, but I can certainly mimic the sound of five dollar a quart oil flowing unimpeded through an engine onto the floor because I FORGOT to reinstall the drain plug and not being smart enough to at least have left the drain pan beneath the motor instead of anally removing it before the job was done... been there done that...

Last edited:
I always prefill the filter, and have done it as long as I can remember. On the XJ,I fill it just to the point where it won't spill when I spin it on. It's not completely full, but better than being completely dry.

I feel like the engine builds oil pressure a little quicker with a pre-filled oil filter.

its better to do an oil change just after u have good oil pressure.

I run my enging for 4 min, the drain oil , and refill and start while engine still has lubrication, no dry start that way.

Just my $110.00 (u know instead of $0.02)
Buddha, Buddha, Buddha!!!

thats' a good idea, but i'm more the leisurely type, it takes more than four minutes just to coordinate the task :dunce:

I hate working on the engine when its' hot...

jeepdude10000 said:
its better to do an oil change just after u have good oil pressure.

I run my enging for 4 min, the drain oil , and refill and start while engine still has lubrication, no dry start that way.

Just my $110.00 (u know instead of $0.02)
Buddha, Buddha, Buddha!!!
Good in theary, but infact your leaving dirty oil in the moter by doing that. Now weather, or not it makes a huge difference (assuming your doing recomended timely changes) could be debatable. I have always felt as long as you change it regulerly the little bit of oil that stays in the moter won't carry enough dirt to make a difference.

Oh, and on topic I have always prefilled my filter too.

thats another reason i'll let the oil drain for hours while i do other stuff, sometimes overnite.

I've always attached a 4" diameter magnet to bottom of pan, near drain hole, and remove it right before I drop the oil.

my theory is that any metal will flush out/w old oil, but i also know metal become magnetized, hoping that area of the pan stays weak enough to let shavings - IF any - vacate.

im pretty paranoid,,,i fill the filter,,,then once oil change is done,,,i pull the center plug wire from the distributor and crank it for a bit,,,reattach wire and start it,,,i figure its turning over slow/virtually no rpms and pistons arent being slammed down while the rest of the filter fills up,,,,

97xjstock said:
im pretty paranoid,,,i fill the filter,,,then once oil change is done,,,i pull the center plug wire from the distributor and crank it for a bit,,,reattach wire and start it,,,i figure its turning over slow/virtually no rpms and pistons arent being slammed down while the rest of the filter fills up,,,,

Now that's paranoid...lol

I've never added any oil to the filter before installing it. I make enough of a damn mess taking the old one off, why add new oil to the used oil thats now on the ground?..lol. No engine problems on mine either, and so far at 86K.

scoobyxj said:
Good in theary, but infact your leaving dirty oil in the moter by doing that.

Dirty oil is better than no oil. The amount of oil left in the engine as compared to the amount you just put in is negligable. I'd rather have some oil hanging around the top end than not, dirty or clean.

97xjstock said:

Turning slowly is the point. There is no benefit from cranking an engine without the coil wire installed. The oil pump can't turn fast enough to produce any oil pressure or volume. To be truly paranoid, you'd have to prime the pump, but now you're talking some really ludicrous stuff.

Well the best thing to do is to prime the filter with Lucus Oil treatment. It is thick and soaks the filter really well.
If you'll notice there is a big difference in the weight of the old oil filter and the new Oil filter!

goodburbon said:
I got 160k and no problems, you guys are silly.
People who can imagine how an engine works, and can picture it running without oil pressure, worry about such things.

People who know how motors work from long experience, think pre-filling oil filters is a demonstration of too much imagination.

Never prefilled my filters, 200k and going. Not so much as a puff of smoke or a valve rattle.

The renix turns over a bunch of times before starting anyway so even if you did prefill the filter no pressure is pushing the oil around anyway and it's moving without lubrication, meh.

You guys are silly.

Back