• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny oil coolers

Welcome and I would Suggest a Search for Transmission Cooler

This Topic comes up a Lot and there is a Wealth of Information within the NAXJA Threads.

I use an OTA External Transmission Cooler and a 3 Core HD All Metal Radiator, Hi Flow Water Pump, Hi Flow Thermostat Housing & Thermostat.

It is better to bypass the Radiator and go with a 30,000 to 40,000 GVW Transmission Cooler so that there is better flow and cooling of Fluid especially if your XJ is Used for Crawling or Towing. IMHO I used to have to change out my Fluid every 6 months because it was burnt. It's Extremely hot in Tampa, FL

I Mounted mine Like GoJeep has his: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoCooler.htm

TaurusFan29_small.jpg

Some come with a External Thermal Bypass for Cold Climates others Not. If you live in a Cool Climate just Buy a Cooler with the Bypass. IMHO

heatchrt.jpg

Here is info from: http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/cooler-info.html

The most often asked question is should I bypass the radiator cooler when I install a auxillary cooler.
Most cooler manufactures and automobile manufactures information we have read, recommends installing the coolers In-Series with the factory radiator cooler for maxium cooling efficiency.
So unless the manufactures who have spent 1000's of hours testing different installations are wrong, the suggested cooler installation is in-series......
Transmission > Radiator cooler > Auxillary cooler > then Back to the transmission.
If you must bypass the radiator because the cooler tube is leaking or for other reasons, be sure to increase the size cooler you install by 1 to 2 sizes. I Bypassed the Radiator, I Live in Florida, and I go Offroad so that is why I went with the 40,000 GWV Cooler (.

Pickup Trucks, SUV's
Towing up to 7,500 lbs.
# Coolers with GVW ratings of 22,000 to 26,000 lbs.

HD Trucks, Motor homes
Towing up to 10,000 lbs.
# Coolers with GVW ratings of 22,000 to 30,000 lbs.

Super Duty trucks
Large Motor homes
# Coolers with GVW ratings of 28,000 lbs. and UP

transcharttemps.gif

* Millions of automatic transmissions fail every year from overheating. If you tow a boat, trailer, camper or drive in Stop & Go traffic you risk overheating your transmission fluid.When your transmission fluid reaches 200o it starts breaking down.
* Transmission coolers help extend the life of your transmission fluid and can prevent transmission failure from overheating.
* At 240 degrees varnishes form and transmission life expectancy is cut in half.
* At 260 degrees the transmissions internal seals and rubber parts harden and major damage starts.
* Above 295 degrees you transmission start slipping, clutches burn out and carbon forms.
* With each 20 degrees drop in operating temperature, your fluid and equipment life doubles.
* Installing a cooler before damage starts and by reducing the transmission fluid temperature by as much as 60o can greatly extend the life of your transmission.
* Installing a transmission cooler can prevent transmission burnout.

Tru-Cool 4739 MAX with Thermal Bypass Valve TC-4739
For Vehicles with 3/8" Transmission Lines
YOUR COST: $143.00

Source: http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=205

The Thermostat is set at 90 degrees according to Tech Support.

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=trucool-MAX-cooler

# 4739 Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler with external thermal bypass
The Thermostat is set at 90 degrees according to Tech Support.

Tru-Cool # LPD4739, 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating
8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 inch
3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs) Includes external thermal bypass for cold climates!

$140.00

# 47391 Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler *No external cold weather thermal bypass

# LPD47391 Tru-Cool 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating
8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 with 3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs)
*No external thermal bypass*Great choice for southern states where the winters are mild.

$118.00

# 4921-1 Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler (Medium Max)

3/8" hose barbs on side of cooler.
Size 6 x 23 x 3/4 inch
WITHOUT external thermal bypass!
12 plates, 30,000 GVW / 34,000 BTU ratings

$92.00

# OTA Cooler

Part No. 4739
Price: $129.95

40,000# GVW rating transmission oil cooler. 8 1⁄2 x 22 3⁄4 x 1 1⁄4 193 sq. in. cooling area Reduces heat related failures during severe duty conditions such as towing or exhaust brake usage. BTU Rating 45,000

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/ford/e4od/forde4odcoolers.html

40000otacooler.jpg

Hope this will help someone.

Get the factory cooler out an early 90's Explorer. Stacked plate and thin enough you can slip it in front of the radiator.

My buddy has the same setup as me with a temp gauge, and it rarely if ever hit's 180*.

Those are the "newer" ones. The problem with large stacked plate coolers is they are tough to find room for behind the grill.

I have the '94-, which is a thinner version of that but still cools very well.

Hey guys,
Good subject. I have my cooler mounted in front of the drivers side A/C cooler. I'm wondering, with our XJ's being so effected by temp., does this create problems with airflow? Tranny cooler, then A/C cooler, THEN radiator? My stroker is ALL new in the cooling system and it's still a bit tempermental. Would the GoJeep solution be the best or an aftermarket 3-row with the cooler IN the radiator itself?

crusT~

This is my Build and it works for me here in Florida:

Perma Cool Remote Oil Filter & Cooler
OTA 40,000 GVW External Transmission Cooler bypassing the Radiator mounted the same as Gojeeps.
3 Core HD All Metal Radiator
HiFlow Water Pump
HiFlow Thermostat Housing & Thermostat
Wrapped SS Exhaust Header

Many Jeepers have complained that the Tranny Cooler in the 3 Row Radiator is not efficient in making the Tranny Fluid Cool enough. I am of that belief as when I first used only the 3 Core All Metal Radiator I had to change out my Tranny Fluid every 6 months because it was burnt. After I bypassed the Radiator and installed the OTA 40,000 GVW Tranny Cooler as in Gojeeps write up, I had no further issues with burnt Tranny Fluid and my Radiator seems to be doing a better job of cooling IMHO.

I did as gojeep has done also.. with the same cooler , location .. everything. Works great.

If you live in an area that has cold winters, i wouldnt recommend bypassing the heat exchanger in the radiator.
The proper "in series" connection is like so:

Transmission-->Cooler-->Heat Exchanger-->Transmission

Just remember to cold transmission fluid is just as bad if not worse then to hot.

the AW4 is designed to work between 150 to 170* per factory service manual, and like Muad'Dib said running to cool also posses a shorter life for a automatic transmission

So you don't want to get the biggest thing out there, ideally you could put the cooler on the electric fan side and add a by pass switch so the Aux fan turns on when the Transmission temp gets to 170* so it will keep it from getting to hot or from staying to cool during the winter (if in front of the mech-fan)

Hmmm my FSM for a 95 says 125-176 is the normal opp. temp. :looney:

??? it does... I must have been looking at another location... what page are you on? I can not find where I pulled that number from....

I will look tonight. I remember it was hard to find.

Section 21 Page 337 (AKA 21-337)

122*F to 176*F

I got messed up because its 50*C to 80*c and I work in *C at my job all day long.

I did a google search for "hot trannys" but it didn't bring up any coolers.

What about variations on the phrase "hot trannys"? Such as "solutions for hot trannys," "old hot trannys," or "flaming tranny"?... To much?...

:roflmao:

Back