• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44

nwo98xj

NAXJA Forum User
if you were going to buy a complete aftermarket dana 44 with locker and gears to run 36 X14.5 tires what would you buy and where??

front/rear? what?

well i don't want to spend more than i have in the jeep but thats the point ....is it cheaper to get a junkyard, gut it and put in cromemolly shafts gears and locker or just buy a good aftermarket set up complete

well i don't want to spend more than i have in the jeep but thats the point ....is it cheaper to get a junkyard, gut it and put in cromemolly shafts gears and locker or just buy a good aftermarket set up complete
That depends are you doing the work yourself or paying someone else to do it?

Honestly, IMO, 36x14.50s are probably getting very close to the upper limit of a rear D44. If you're going to spend the serious coin on a "custom axle", due it right with something larger.

I just bought a rear D44 from an '86 Grand Wagoneer from my local J-Yard for $100. They even pulled it for me and had it waiting to load...

You do the math. Aftermarket D44s are sweet but you should seriously consider doing it yourself with a J-Yard axle and learn something...

I'm wanting to say the waggys were 3/4" wider than us.
Front is wider...may be 3/4"...IDK

Rear is narrower...believe its 58" WMS and XJ stock is 60.75" WMS. Easy to make up with wheel spacers/adapters or just leave it alone if you're swapping the front too and are ok with running 6 lug hubs.

That depends are you doing the work yourself or paying someone else to do it?

Honestly, IMO, 36x14.50s are probably getting very close to the upper limit of a rear D44. If you're going to spend the serious coin on a "custom axle", due it right with something larger.

x2.

If you want to keep the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, get a Super 8.8 setup.

Are you planning on keeping the D30 up front?

Front is wider...may be 3/4"...IDK

Rear is narrower...believe its 58" WMS and XJ stock is 60.75" WMS. Easy to make up with wheel spacers/adapters or just leave it alone if you're swapping the front too and are ok with running 6 lug hubs.
Nah, they are a hair wider. I compared my dana 35 to the dana 44 wagoneer axle and it was wider about a 1/2" or so.

dont want to go six stud. got nice wheels and want to keep them, maybe an 8.8 or a 44 out of an older xj just trying to figure the math on a rebuild vs a buy it and done. yes i will keep the 30 but i will be upgrading the axles.....i know alot of you are rock crawlers and i don't want to start the whole mud vs rock thing but where i am ....not so many rocks so i am in the mud alot and trail rideing, a run down of what i have seem in order so you can get an idea of what i am doing, I can't seem to post pic cause that would help to.

98 4 door 4.0 aw4, D30 4.88 with ECTED 8.25 4.88 stock lsd
8.5 lift using 6.5 rc, coil spacers up front and blocks in the rear with control arm drop brackets and rustys shocks
AA SYE
tom woods drive shaft
36x14.5 15 super swamper radials
dick cepek dc 1 wheels

so i ask again what would you do with the rear axle ?

Nah, they are a hair wider. I compared my dana 35 to the dana 44 wagoneer axle and it was wider about a 1/2" or so.

All the research I've done on here as well as other sources prove that a MAJORITY of the Wagoneer axles are narrower. Not by much but it is true. The spring purches are also literally in the same position. My axle came from an '86.

My tape didn't lie and I know my eyes are working good cause I just had an eye appointment....lol. I have read that there are wagoneers with full width axles (or wider axles anyhow)...I know nothing about the history of wagoneers just knew what I needed to find and I accomplished that.

Back