• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep sputtering from stop lights.

supernatural

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what i have: 2000 XJ w/ 1996 engine in it. I'm using the intake and coil pack off my 2000 for ease of using the 2000 harness. The engine has been in for 6 months with no issues til about 2 months ago.

The problem: When i stop at stoplights (this will happen hot or cold) if i give it gas from the stoplight it will cut out like it's misfiring. The oil pressure will drop, and if i stay on the gas it will continue to drop and my CEL will come on. As soon as it stops sputtering the CEL will turn off, the oil pressure will steady back out, and it will run like a champ. If i SLOWLY ease into the gas i normally won't have any problems. It seems like it does this mainly under load.

What i've done:
changed TPS
cleaned throttle body with carb / intake cleaner, as well as IAC and all ports on the throttle body.
I've reset the memory on the computer (took power from battery)
Checked fuel pump harness for shorts.
Added fuel injector cleaner
(not relevant to this but changed oil last night)

What i've heard / found searching: MAP sensor could be faulty, sludge in the oil pan clogging the oil pickup, baffle in the fuel tank broke up and is clogging the fuel pump.

Could there be a bad ground? I can't think that the ground wire to the block could be a problem, cause it only does this when i take off or are on an incline and under load.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm about ready to drive this thing off the nearest cliff ablaze. :mad:

Thanks!

So check all grounds coming from the block? What is the deal with the sensor under the battery tray? I've not been able to figure that out yet... Could that have something to do with it?

I checked all vacuum lines, tried a new map sensor, tried a TPS, tried a new computer, checked fuel pressure... nothing helped.

Anyone have ANY other ideas?

Someone from pirate said "
Maybe your charcoal canister got soaked with fuel when you tipped and its causing a super rich condition when it purges? Dunno..."

this possible?

NO ONE HAS ANY IDEAS AS TO WHATS WRONG? Kinda hard to believe only one guy here has a possible solution.

Thing under battery tray is to reduce charging rate when battery gets hot. I wonder if your fuel pick up got messed up somehow. I take it you tipped over at one point? The cannister is purging on and off all the time, that problem seems unlikely. What happens if you slowly drive up a steep grade?

Back