• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installation of Mopar Performance Distributor

hoovie

NAXJA Forum User
My friend who just got back from the USA bought me anew Mopar Performance Distributor for my 95 XJ.

When installing the distributor, we firstly confused in finding the top of the ignition. It happened that the performance distributor top position differs from the stock. The engine finally bangs after we tried tooth-by-tooth to find the right timing position.

The performance distributor has 4 cables attached with round socket. The stock distributor only have 3 cables with an oval socket. So we cut out the sockets and hot wire the cables (frankly, we don't know if the connection is correct, but the engine runs well now).

After the installation, I tried it and seems that my engine now is more fierce! I can feel more power when doing hill climbing and running at highway. There are no indication of fault or misfire, backfire, etc. However, when I run the engine diagnostic sequence, I got code 11 and 54:

11: No crank signal to computer. Fault in wiring between crankshaft position sensor (CPS) and ECM (PCM or computer) or faulty CPS.
54: Distributor sync pickup; change sync sensor in distributor.

How can this happened? The engine is running without a problem at all. Anybody has any idea to cure this diagnostic result? I'm afraid that now the engine runs ok, but stops working in the long run or while on the trail. Could wrong wiring to the distributor caused this? Would it affect the car's ECU?

Many thanks for your help. :wave1:

Ronnie
95 XJ 4.0 HO

The codes are probably from one of the earlier failures to run

You can wait for the code to clear, take it to a shop and have them do it, or disconnect the positive cable from the battery for a few minutes to clear them yourself

Back