• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start

learjets

NAXJA Forum User
96 6 cyl 4.0 Auto
Cranks over but will not fire up. Tried some starting fluid and no change.
Pulled a spark plug and it do have a weak "orange colored" spark.

Any quick ideas to try!

Follow the advice in this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101119

Many people overlook the basics and start throwing parts. Checking the codes may or may not help and may need further troubleshooting to verify a problem, but definately use the codes for a starting point.

No start - 1996

Thanks WagonMan, yea have not thrown any parts at it.
Pulled the plugs and all cylinders are firing, and have compression.
Cleaned the connections on the CPS.

Going to get clean the plugs, do compression ck, and try again with new can of starting fluid.

The fuel rail does pressurize, I'll have to get a gauge to check it out.

Any other NAXJA guys want to give some advice????

Has the rig been sitting for a while, or did it die out on you recently? Did you recently fill up somewhere new? What I am getting at is that you have spark, you probably have good enough compression to run, and you have fuel, therefore you should at least start. Did they recently switch to 10% ethanol in your area? When they made the switch in my area there were many cars (and boats) getting a lot of water in the fuel right out of the pump.

Thanks,
Bought dirt cheap for the body 102,000 miles - was overheating before.
It's been sitting for about a year, 1/2 tank of gas so its likely got water in it. Plus are gapped correctly.
Tonight I tried a "splash" of gas on the throttle body butterfly and it spuddered on two or three cylinders - no where near starting just crank over quicker. The battery is weak so I'm going to slave in a good battery, drain out the old gas and refill with new and try some time friday.

I just want to get it running before I change out the engine/drive train.

A weak coil (as winterbeater mentioned) will create a weak spark. Coils can be easily tested for primary and secondary resistance with a meter and a manual. Test your coil. And yes, a good battery is "essential" to the starting process!!

Tried another good battery and still no start. Test ignition coil and checked good, swapped with my 94 and the coil if fine.

Still no start.

Checked compresion and the all low 25 to 55 psi and go up about 5 psi with after adding oil to the cyl.

Any other ideas......

96 jeep was bought for the body, as it had over heated with past owner.

Tried another good battery and still no start. Test ignition coil and checked good, swapped with my 94 and the coil if fine.

Still no start.

Checked compresion and the all low 25 to 55 psi and go up about 5 psi with after adding oil to the cyl.

Any other ideas......

96 jeep was bought for the body, as it had over heated with past owner.

Either you need a new compression gauge or a new engine, those numbers are WAY too low. In my experience if they are all that low then you have a problem with the gauge.

Last edited:
Back