• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Cheap XJ Winch bumper build

desertfox1023

NAXJA Forum User
So I been thinking the orgional mount I made for my winch just wasn't cutting it anymore. It did fine for what it was but the jeep just needed more.
picture.php

So today I started with this:
picture.php

Then took some of this:
picture.php

Made some of these:
picture.php

Attached it to this:
picture.php

Then ended up with something like this:
picture.php

Through on a little side skirting:
picture.php

Which made it look a little more like this:
picture.php

Welded it all together and through in some inner bracing:
picture.php

So plans are to finish it all up sometime this week by throwing on some top and bottom covers for the side ends, attaching the d-ring mounts where the bracing is attached at, cutting out a spot for the flare head, adding some light tabs, then cleaning it all up with a mop wheel and throwing on some paint.
All the steel is 3/16" thick plate, except for the winch plate which is 5/8", and the bracing is 3/16" angle to take the force from the D-ring pulls to the 16 bolt frame mounts. Let me know what you guys think.

Looks pretty bulking and big. The front and winch plate look like you cut it drunk, kinda ~. Also if you have a chance you should bring it closer to the front, and cut out part of the grill, better approach angle and it will look cleaner.

Well I final got around to getting a little more work done on the bumper:

Threw on the top and bottom side plates, filled in all the welds. Then took the angle grinder and smoothed it all out. Next step is to throw on the D-rings, hit the hole thing with a mop disc, and throw on a little paint.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

How Much Time And money do you have into that minus the winch

im looking into building a tube bumper i dont know theres to many styles that look good on XJ'S i just sit here and drool

Umm whats that tow hook attached to?

5/8"! damn how much does that weigh?

That's just the plate the winch sits on. I can hold the whole bumper with one hand. I'd say like 50lbs, but it's a lot lighter than it looks to me.

How Much Time And money do you have into that minus the winch

im looking into building a tube bumper i dont know theres to many styles that look good on XJ'S i just sit here and drool

Ya I would have loved to do tube but don't have a bender. I got about 40 bucks in the steel. Hardware from lowes was like 12 bucks for bolts. Then I got like 60 in materials as far as grinding discs, gas for the torch, and other crap. Time I don't even know, I've just been workin on it in my spare time.

Well finally finished up the work on the bumper today. Got the D-rings welded on and also hit the hole thing with a mop disc. Just waiting on the paint to dry now so I can throw it on tomorrow.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here's some final pics of the finished project. We got it done and mounted on Friday along with my new 33's so the first thing we did was head out for wheeln' for the weekend.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Back