• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel shudder

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
While turning at low speeds (below 20 mph) there is a shudder in the wheel that persists until I straighten out. Also, a couple days ago I suddenly lost power steering while pulling off the road (helping another jeeper out lol how ironic). As soon as I started moving again I regained power steering. Is it possible these are related or two totally different issues? PS pump taking a dump? I remember seeing a similar thread in this section just a few days ago but I can't find it. I think ball bearings were mentioned for the same shudder issue but I'm not 100% on that.

It could be something simple like an axle u-joint and it's froze on one of the caps, and was just in the wrong pos. when you stopped. Also, how's your belt look? Tight enough? And yeah, it can be your power steering pump pulley bearing, but it's just as worth it to look at some other stuff too.

Belt is tight and for starters I'll be replacing the pully. Also, checked the axle u-joints and they are good to go, so we can cross that off.

Looks like I'm going to need to take a look at:
- Pulley
- Pump
- Ball bearings?

I'm not going to really look that hard at the steering gear box. If that had died I wouldn't be able to steer and fluid would be everywhere, correct?

As far as the axle u-joints go, I take it that you pulled the axles to check them for stiffness? You can tell if they are loose without pulling them, but you can't tell if they are tight and starting to freeze up.

And not being able to steer and fluid everywhere is not the only failure mode of the steering gear box.

As far as the axle u-joints go, I take it that you pulled the axles to check them for stiffness? You can tell if they are loose without pulling them, but you can't tell if they are tight and starting to freeze up.

And not being able to steer and fluid everywhere is not the only failure mode of the steering gear box.

That I did. Pulled the shafts and the joints are working just fine.

I haven't lost power steering since that day. Also, I emptied and filled the P/S reservoir. The fluid was pretty dark.

Back