• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about cruise control install and clockspring

Leica99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just received used cruise control parts from Stork's, and was getting ready to do the install and searching some info when I found out that if the airbag has been deployed on the vehicle that the clockspring is out of, it is no good.

Well I called Stork's and he said he doesn't know, that he pulled it out of a column they had out already. He also said he'd send me another one if this one doesn't work.

How can I tell if the clock spring is no good? Also what is the proper way to install the clockspring?

Any other tips on installing cruise control are welcome.

Well, I'm not sure of a way of telling its no good but I can tell you how I knew mine went out. Easiest is probably the fact that my horn went out, second my airbag light was on.

Its super easy to install, keep wheels centered, pull airbag, then wheel, and there it is.

Good Luck

Haha good call let it sit for a bit before you go at it. I did all my under the hood install while the battery was disconnected.

Went to install everything and I think Stork's sent me the wrong clockspring, there's not a connector for the switch harness to plug into. Does anyone have a pic of what a cruise control clockspring looks like, or could someone explain what it should look like?

I wondered when he told me that he pulled it off a loose column, how would he have known if it came out of a cruise control Jeep or not if he's never seen one?

Needless to say I'm kinda ticked off right now.

1997-2001 Cruise control clock spring has 3 wires, the non-cruise clock spring has 2 wires.

SYSTEM OPERATION
The clockspring is mounted on the steering column behind the steering wheel. This assembly consists of a plastic housing which contains a flat, ribbon-like, electrically conductive tape that winds and unwinds with the steering wheel rotation.

The clockspring is used to maintain a continuous electrical circuit between the instrument panel wire harness and the driver side airbag module, the horn switch, and the vehicle speed control switches on vehicles that are so equipped.

The clockspring must be properly centered when it is installed on the steering column following any service removal, or it will be damaged. See the Clockspring Centering procedure for more information.

The clockspring cannot be repaired. If the clockspring is faulty, damaged, or if the airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced.

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIR-BAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIR-BAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY .

Turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position before starting the procedure.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag has not been deployed, wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
Remove the driver side airbag module from the steering wheel.
If the vehicle is equipped with the optional vehicle speed control, unplug the speed control switch wire harness connector in the steering wheel.
Remove the nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering column upper shaft.
Remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428-B).
Remove the steering column, opening cover from the instrument panel.
If the vehicle is so equipped, move the tilt steering column to the fully raised position.
Insert the key in the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to the On position.

Insert a small screwdriver or pin punch through the access hole in the lower steering column shroud and depress the ignition lock cylinder retaining tumbler.
While holding the retaining tumbler depressed, pull the ignition lock cylinder and key out of the ignition lock housing.
Remove the three screws that secure the lower steering column shroud to the upper shroud.
If the vehicle is equipped with a standard non-tilt steering column, loosen the two upper steering column mounting nuts. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional tilt steering column, move the tilt steering column to the fully lowered position.
Remove both the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column.

Clockspring Remove/Install

Unplug the two wire harness connectors from the instrument panel side of the clockspring.
To remove the clockspring, carefully lift the locating fingers of the clockspring assembly from the steering column as necessary. If the clockspring locating fingers are broken, be certain to remove the broken pieces from the upper steering column housing. The clockspring cannot be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the airbag has been deployed.
When installing the clockspring, snap the clockspring onto the steering column. If the clockspring is not positioned properly in relation to the steering wheel, see Clockspring Centering before installing the steering wheel.
Plug the two clockspring wire harness connectors into the instrument panel side of the clockspring. Be certain that the wire harness connector latches are fully engaged.
Reinstall the steering column shrouds and ignition lock cylinder. Tighten the shroud mounting screws to 2 N.m (18 in. lbs.) .
Reinstall the steering column opening cover to the instrument panel.
The front wheels should still be in the straight-ahead position. Install the steering wheel being certain to index the flats on the hub of the steering wheel with the formations on the inside of the clockspring. Pull the wire harness, through the lower hole in the steering wheel hut. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 61 N.m (45 ft. lbs.) . Be certain not to pinch the wiring between the steering wheel and the nut.
Install the driver side airbag module onto the steering wheel.

So how do you tell if a clockspring has been damaged? from what it seems, if Stork's handles it incorrectly it could be damaged.

If it's damaged, is it possible all the functions would work (horn, cruise) while the airbag being non functional and not even knowing it?

I'm starting to wonder if I should have just got a new clockspring.

So how do you tell if a clockspring has been damaged?

The airbag system is self testing. It has few components and the clock spring the most likely to fail. You can always take it to the dealership for a diagnostic scan.

Sorry to thread jack, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread. I discovered today that the cruise button assembly (the one with the cancel button) on the right side of the steering wheel was loose (see pics below) on my 97.

I noticed that it appeared that there was a broken clip on the button assembly/surround that allowed it to come off. With the broke clip it's still fairly secure, but I've got a 98 that I'm getting ready to part is the only reason I'm considering replacing it. My question is how/what do I have to remove to replace the button assembly. I'm intimidated by the thought of accidentally setting off the air bag. I've read several threads (that I found by searching) that says to unplug the battery for anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes to discharge the capacitors for the airbag system.

I've also found 2 hex headed nuts at 3 & 9 on the back side of the steering wheel that I'm assuming hold the airbag on. There are also 2 smaller holes at about 5:30 & 7:30 that appear to go through the wheel where the cruise buttons are. I'm wondering if I can just remove the one at 5:30 and replace the button assembly. It seems that this screw is what holds the clip in place. Also, are the flat or philips?

Behind the Cruise button:
IMG00136_20090728_1623_2.sized.jpg

Back of the button assembly:
IMG00137_20090728_1623_2.sized.jpg

.. My question is how/what do I have to remove to replace the button assembly. I'm intimidated by the thought of accidentally setting off the air bag. I've read several threads (that I found by searching) that says to unplug the battery for anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes to discharge the capacitors for the airbag system....

Disconnect the battery and let the Jeep sit for a while. Remove the airbag, make your repairs and reinstall the airbag. When you are all done, reconnect the battery.

So the airbag assembly has to come out before you can remove the switch assemblies?
yes, it holds down the inside edge of the switch assemblies, and once the screw holding down the switches is removed, you can remove the switch.

Back