• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RIP champion 4412 truck plugs

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have had a slight skip at warm idle, nothing bad but I want it gone if possible, so I pulled out my Champion truck plugs for inspection and two of them broke. Looking and calling around, the old 4412 plugs appear to be discontinued. Autozone said they had a $.50 clearance sale and they are all gone, while NAPA lists a Champion dual-tip platinum as replacements. So FYI folks.

I decided to install a set of Autolite 3924 which are for the older inline six engines and they seem to be working just fine, maybe a little more miss at cold start but they seem to run steady at warm idle.

I'll bet I can find a small stockpile somewhere here in Toledo--time to get on the phone. Thanks for the heads up.

I got a set from NAPA last month. They also listed them as being replaced by the platinum stuff, but they got me a set from another store.

You guys could always up the quality of the plugs you are using :roflmao: and go with the plain jane NGK coppers, :looney: quality cheap plugs (IMO).

I bought the Autolite 3924 for the 94 HO.....the ceramic tip is verry short compared to the long tip Champions that are in there. I am worried they don't stick into the combust. chamber as far and will not perform as well.....Does a shorter tip = cooler plug?

length of the ceramic between the tip and where it meets the shell will determine the heat range. Longer distance will be hotter as it will retain more heat. A "projected tip" doesn't necessarily mean hotter plug since the path to the shell can still be fairly short inside the longer tip.

NGK V-power copper plugs FTW....

Using a plug with too long of a tip can cause damage to the plug and/or a piston.

Using a plug with too short of a thread reach can lead to flame erosion of the lower threads.

Sounds like AUTOZONE discontinued them (likely infavor of selling the multi-tip-platinum-gold plated, diamond core space age spark plugs. Still available around here at NAPA and a local indy shop...and like said, RockAuto still lists them.

Sounds like AUTOZONE discontinued them (likely infavor of selling the multi-tip-platinum-gold plated, diamond core space age spark plugs. Still available around here at NAPA and a local indy shop...and like said, RockAuto still lists them.

Rockauto lists 2(two) in stock...

Back