• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 coolant overflow bottle

dm440c

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of people recommended changing the overflow bottle in my 90 Cherokee to one from a 90's vintage Chrysler product in order to get a "normal" pressure relief type cap. So I was in a junkyard this past weekend, and I looked at a variety of different 90's Chrysler cars, such as Intrepid & Stratus, but all of them had a bottle that was sharply contoured to fit against the sloping sides if the strut towers (inner fender) of those cars. The shape was very different than the bottle in the Jeep and I cannot see how that would fit without fabricating a new mounting bracket to keep the cap oriented at the top. Am I missing something here?

You can use a pressure bottle of any make/model vehicle as long as it fits in the space and the hose will attach.

I replaced mine with a POS Chinese Cheapo, tossed the worthless cap that came with it in the trash and bought an OEM cap from the dealership $11.

Others just put a worm clamp around the cap and tighten it down.

Look for a bottle that will mount to a flat surface. As I recall, the one I have is kinda deep and narrow and bolted to the passenger fender. The long dimension faces toward the engine in the orignal Mopar car. When you mount it in your jeep, the long dimension will face fore and aft.

Remove your OEM bottle AND the bracket that holds it to the firewall. Drill 2 mounting holes in the shelf where the OEM bottle mounted and bolt her up......you are right, the Mopar bottles are shaped quite differently, but they will fit nicely.

Before I converted to an open system I went through 3 "chinese cheapo" pressure bottles after my original one took a dump. Each one lasted less than a year.

I was doing some work on my mom's Volvo GLE and found the bottle to be almost identical to the Jeep (same profile and hose attachments). So, I pulled one from a junkyard Volvo and it worked fine until that cap gave out too (the bottle was still in good shape). The new cap for the Volvo tank was about $25.

...but I had always wanted to convert the thing to open system, so I did.

3 row all metal, 16# no-flip cap, heater valve $180 total. No drips, leaks or errors.

Back