• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Cherokee Wont start after sitting

chelms27

NAXJA Forum User
I was on vacation for 2 weeks and my 2000 XJ wont start. It has fuel pressure, new injectors, it turns over but nothing. I have had this problem in the past with my 97 and my 98 and it was the CPS. Do you all think that this is my problem. If not do you have and suggestions? Thanks

The jeep is a 2000 4.0 auto

You could try inplugging and replugging the CranK Position sensor a few times in case it is tarnished a little. I assume it worked good with the new injectors for a while before it sat for two weeks and wouldn't run. Since this is not currently intermittant, you can check the CKP with an ohmeter.

Stolen from someone else:

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines
1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

Since picture didn't paste. A is at left, b in the midde, and C on the right when looking into plug with latching finger on top.

Ok, I put the ohm meter on there and I am getting a reading of 725. Does this mean its no good? Thanks for the replies

I've got to think the CPS is bad. It SHOULD read the same as if you hold your two probes out into the air with no contact. You are showing continuity. Maybe if you take your meter down to the parts store, they would let you test a new one.

Back