• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Spark.....try this!!

DrRandy

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i feel dumb:dunno: On the trails the XJ had plenty of power and running great, went up a mild hill then NOTHING, no spit, no sputter, just DEAD. Got towed off the trail to camp by ChuskstrPT (Andy). Someone recommened CPS sensor so Andy gave me a lift to the parts store b/f they closed. Replaced that in the dark at camp (which is a B&*$H) w/o the proper tools. Still nothing. He gave me a lift home, went back the next day. After 10 mins UP and RUNNING!!!!

ALWAYS ALWAYS start with the fuses in the power dist. box by the battery. The 30 amp MAXI fuse (the big fuses) was blown. Its labed "ENG Control" in my 91' 4.0 Auto. Remember to start small then work your way up. I wasted about 3-4 hrs of about 6-8 peoples time by not doing this.
You dont want to feel dumb like me! I'm up and running now:yelclap:

Yea i know, i HATE troubleshooting electrical issues. I think i'm going to wheel it till it happens again. If it does, then i'll investagate. We'll see!

along these lines, my alt went one night on a 3 hours drive home. grabbed the trusty fuze tester, they all checked out OK.
course it died in a no cell reception area, walked 15km to a pay phone (1 month after knee surgery I might add)
got home, grabbed trailer, went back for it, brought home, new alt in, nothing... tried fuzes again... turns out there was 1 bad one... fired right up.

just one of those 'lessons learned' that we have to go through now and then.

glad to hear its up and running again.

along these lines, my alt went one night on a 3 hours drive home. grabbed the trusty fuze tester, they all checked out OK.
course it died in a no cell reception area, walked 15km to a pay phone (1 month after knee surgery I might add)
got home, grabbed trailer, went back for it, brought home, new alt in, nothing... tried fuzes again... turns out there was 1 bad one... fired right up.

just one of those 'lessons learned' that we have to go through now and then.

glad to hear its up and running again.

O man that sucks! :repair:

Those little fuse testers don't work right. I also had an issue on my car where the fuse tester (little thing that came in a fuse assortment package - I thought it was really cool) indicated good fuses event though one was fried. After playing with this issue for a couple of days, I got my voltmeter out. One side of a fuse checked 12V, the other side checked something like 0.5V. That fuse was blown, but somehow there was ?microvoltage? feedback to the other side of the wire. This tricked the little fuse tester to light up good. Threw that POS fuse tester as far as I could.

Those little fuse testers don't work right. I also had an issue on my car where the fuse tester (little thing that came in a fuse assortment package - I thought it was really cool) indicated good fuses event though one was fried. After playing with this issue for a couple of days, I got my voltmeter out. One side of a fuse checked 12V, the other side checked something like 0.5V. That fuse was blown, but somehow there was ?microvoltage? feedback to the other side of the wire. This tricked the little fuse tester to light up good. Threw that POS fuse tester as far as I could.

same thing that happened to me... seeya tester, hello another multi-meter... I think I have one for every vehicle, and the garage, and one in the house here too.
handy dandy they are

Back