• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31's on stock 96 XJ???...

kickerxj15

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a RE 3.5" with 31x10.5 Goodyear MTR's and was wondering if it would be alright to get the tires first? I am badly in need of new tires, however I know I need the lift for any flex with these tires... I wanted to know if the 31's would in fact fit for now, until I have more money for the lift( A few weeks). I will not be doing a lot of driving or anything, just to work and back. Will I be able to fit the 31's for now? I am currently running 225-75's stock.

you should be ok.... just remember to limit your turning s bit ( two washers on each side), and don't drive fast through bumps...

Kejtar

OK... 31' tires will rub on the control arms... so you need to limit turning radius a bit. For my stock rims and 31' tires I used two washers. The trick is to go under the XJ, and look at the knuckles and on each tehre is a bolt with a nut welded halfway through it that's threaded into one end and as you turn, the head of it hits a stopper type of a deal. Once you find those bolts, remove them, put two washers under the nut, and put them back on and you'll be in business...

I drove my stock 91 with 31s for a while. The tires will rub the if you go over any kind of bump. They will rub the LCAs when the steering wheel is at full lock. I had them the on stock wheels, and it still rubs the LCA a bit even after the lift. I've been told this will go away once I get some 15x8 wheels wth 4.5" bs. Here are a couple of pictures of mine with 31s and no lift.

If it's only going to be a couple of weeks, wait and do it all at once. Otherwise go for it and take it easy on the bumps and turns.

Back