• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Tower Noise?

xjsean

NAXJA Forum User
My '99 xj has a knocking sound eminating from the driver's side front shock tower. I have swapped in new shocks on a mechanic's advise, then new JKS upper shock mount conversion and new shocks to see if that made any difference and nothing has changed. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with metal fatigue causing noises in that area after wheeling for a while. My XJ has RE adjustable control arms, ACOS spacers, RE 3.5" springs, JKS discos, and a lot of fender trimming. So there has been a lot of flexing over time which I could see causing the metal to fatigue the noise is more evident when the engine compartment heats up which seems to support the fatigue theory, but I haven't seen cracks. The modified tech is does anyone know of a fix as in custom towers or bracing or am I on the wrong track?

Back