• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seized shaft

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
so my 96 was wrecked this winter and i am almost finished putting all the gooies on my 99. RE 5.5 lift on 33s tom woods shaft and sye. My shaft has been sitting for a few months and apparently had no grease it it. the part of the shaft that controls the length is seized. wont move i pulled the grease port off and shot penetrating fluid in it and hit some bumps but cant get it to move what can i do? i dont want to but another shaft and i dont wanna send it to a shaft shop. any ideas????? thanks!!!!

Put the shaft in a vise and try to pound it open by hitting the yoke with a hammer. You might screw the splines up but if it is seized it is probably already toast.

-Alex

Well u can't see the splines but I have the shaft in the truck now but I had to Jack up the body to get it in. Can I do damage to my truck

The answer to that question is definately yes. The first bump can yield your Tcase a basket of trash.

I would fab up an air chuck and screw it in the grease fitting.

If nothing else, a full grease gun through the grease fitting can exert considerable pressure.

Well what do ya know. I drove it. The drivetrain sounded like shit and I put a mile or two on it. How do I know if the t-case is screwed

Check to see if the tailcone is broken.

I got to thinking of how to pop the shaft free. If it is collapsed, I would tie one end to a tree and hook the other end with a winch and pull.

If it is too long, I would remove the ubolts, lay down a couple of thicknesses of cardboard on the concrete, then bang it on the ground.

A quick trip to a driveshaft shop on Friday afternoon with a case of cold brew would most likely get it fixed for you.

Ya you can mess up the t-case bad doing that. Everything from seals to the cast housing. Take it off and put one end in a vice and use a air hammer on the opposite end you have clamped in the vice. Hopfully the vibrations for the air hammer will brake it loose, and it shouldnt hurt the shaft.

You need to pull it apart. The best way would be to use a couple straps and a come along tied to a tree or something. Get that thing apart and see what the splines look like. You may be able to wire brush the splines and re-grease it and be able to use it. If there is rust inside then the shaft may be toast. Check the xfer case for case damage, if you damaged that then you will need to replace it.

Back