• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Pan Compatibility?

GlueNTape

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any differences between AW4 Transmission Pans? Meaning from Year to Year, can I put a Pan from a 89 on a 98 etc.. I have searched far and wide and could not find an answer. I just need the PAN, and before I go lay in the dirt and pull one from the Junk Yard, I want to make sure I know what I am after.

I have a 98, I just went to change the tranny fluid for the first time since I purchased it. Someone really dinked up the drain plug bolt. I am not even sure how it ever held fluid. I could tap it, but I its just as easy to go grab one from the yard.

Generally speaking, transmission pans are fully compatible within transmission models.

Any AW4 pan should fit any other AW4 box.
Any THM350 pan should fit any other THM350 box.
Any C6 pan should fit any other C6 box.
Any A727 pan should fit any other A727 box.

It's also common for the pan to not change with changing the designation (THM700R4=4L60=4L60E, THM400=3L80=3L80E, ...) and some transmissions are revisions of earlier units and may take the same pan (a GM 4L80 is a THM400/3L80 with the addition of an overdrive gear, f'rinstance. I don't know if the pans swap, but I'm inclined to think they would.)

Since the identification of an unknown slushbox is typically by the shape of the pan and the number of screws holding it (akin to axle identification,) there's good reason for the sumps to not change - more than reason for the sump to change.

Back